Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on cut of Pork

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to a barbecue restaurant (JR's) here in the Atlanta area recently and ordered their sliced pork plate: it was delicious, smokey, delicate and lean. Could someone tell me which part of the beast that would typically have come from? I would sure like to try that myself in the Egg but don't know what to ask the butcher for.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Fairalbion,[p]Were they actual "slices"? Were they shaped like medalions and really tender? If so, these were probably tenderloins. You can buy whole pork tenderloins (usually about 1.5 lbs a piece) and they are super easy and always delicious.[p]
    TRex

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Fairalbion,
    Around here most BBQ shops use butts, some use fresh
    hams. If it was sliced thin I'll bet it was a fresh ham,
    usually butts are pulled . Having said that,
    one of the most popular Q shops in my area pulls / chops
    fresh hams. I think they are dry and awful, but you can't
    get in the place at lunchtime.
    Chuck

• bigmikej
    Options
    Fairalbion,
    They could be butts that were just pulled off at 180 or so. Not cooked long enought to pull, but definitely edible.

• Fairalbion
    Options
    TRex,
    They were not from tenderloins, the slices were long & thin (about 5" X 1.5") - similarly shaped to bacon - but lean.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)