Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Places to eat near Kansas City?

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'll be driving through the Joplin... Kansas City Area (east side it looks like) tomorrow. Any suggestions on places to eat and/or a place to load up on Ozark
oak charcoal?

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Go to Stroud's and get the best fried chicken in the state.

From Jopin to KC I'll have to assume you'll be traveling up US71. If your journey takes you on I-35 then you'll blow right past Stroud's on the NE side of KC.

If you plan to take 435 around the city and BBQ is your desire, then get go the Jack Stack in Martin City on the SE side of KC. I recommend the brisket and sausage combo plate.
  • 2bking
    2bking Posts: 1
    Options
    This is my first post and I have greatly appreciated all the information I have been able to gather on using the egg since purchasing in April. So, I am happy to give a little back as I live in the KC area. I would have to agree with Jack Stack (my wife's favorite beans)in Martin City off higway 150 east of highway 69 and west of highway 71. Another excellent spot is Oklahoma Joes in Olathe or the original in Mission Kansas which had a good write-up recently in Men's Health. The Olathe location is off I35 and has an adjacent BBQ store which is a BGE distributor and you should be able to pick up the charcoal.

Safe Travels,
    Brett
  • Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Options
    You have been well informed, they both nailed it. The cinnamon rolls at Strouds are legendary and the fried chicken will make you take some for the road.
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Thanks, those all sound great!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Every time I visit Stroud's i sweet talk the waitress until she gives me 2 or 3 bags of those cinnamon rolls. That way I have breakfast for the rest of the week while I am visiting my folks.

The chicken fried chicken there is just blissful - but will accelerate cardiac disease by a few years.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Fidel is right about Jack Stack. Great combo. Actually Harrisonville on 71 has a nice place. If you like to meet up for lunch send an e-mail. I mean your in my back yard if coming up 71.

Mike
  • legal egg
    legal egg Posts: 7
    Options
    Gates, LC's, Oklahoma Joe's, Arthur Bryants, and Jackstack (in Martin City, in that order.

Rock chalk!