Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Johnsonville Brats

Options
GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Johnsonville_Brats.jpg
<p />My wife had some Johnsonville Brats leftover from earlier today. I tossed em on the egg after tonights spatchcock chicken and smoked em with a handful of mesquite chips on a raised grid at 300 for 35 minutes. I turned em every 10 minutes.[p]Fantastic! Time to brown bag lunch tomorrow.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]I must say... not only am I impressed with your Eggability, but also your beer selection. It's different everytime. A good dark beer does go well with brats.
    And to mention about your lawn being it alredy has been(thank CWM) I am assuming your lawn is not shaded? This was the fourth year strait I tried to plant grass on my fathers' heavily shaded lawn. Grows right away with some hay, but again this time of year all brown. Life is surely good for you![p]ST
    [/b]
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]My wife thanks you for the lawn compliments and she thanks me for paying the water bill. :) It's not shaded, and we get plenty of sun here in Austin, TX. We finally got some rain over the holiday weekend, but it did not stop the egg.[p]You're the first one to notice my ever changing beer motif in my photos. Beer and BBQ just seem natural, so beer lovers should have fun watching what what I come up with next.[p]My in-laws arrive tomorrow and I've already have the menu planned. First Brisket, then stuff Pork loin (my own experiment), Wings, Ribs, Steaks, followed by some Pulled pork. They'll end up going to the Eggfest in Atlanta by the time I'm done with them.[p]It's been great fun making great food and sharing it here with other eggheads![p]Cheers![p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Good luck with your first brisket...I'm doing my second one right now. First was a failure...my own fault, because I bought a corned beef brisket in the package...salty as heck. In fact, I threw it out. This one is going to make it...I can tell. They don't sell (or do) brisket around here. I found one at Sam's Club, so I thought I'd try it. [p]Late dinner tonight...half the family is off and running...good thing, as the brisket hasn't reached that happy stage ...yet. (it's at 173, shooting for 190)[p]Mike in MN

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Here's a good tip on the brats, Ed. Boil them for 15 minutes or so in beer before you put them on the grill. IMHO, this makes them absorb a lot more smoke flavor. Most excellent!![p]Jim
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]You guys have Ice Hole Schnapps, and we have good Brisket here in Texas.[p]Costco and Sam's sell em for about $1.99 lb. for a prime cut. They average about 8 lbs with a nice fat cap.[p]I'll be up in Chanhassen in early Feb. the day before my annual ice fishing trip to Lake of the Woods. If you want, I'll be glad to schlep a couple up there with me in my cooler. It'll be full of vacume packed pulled pork for my fishing buddies.[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Normally I never see the briskets. Last weekend when I was at Sam's (nothing better to do) I picked through about 10 various cuts and sizes, and picked out a small one just to try. They had a pretty good selection (but then again, I wouldn't know a good one from an oversized beef tongue....) I bought a 3# flat half boneless COV, whatever that all means. [p]And, that puppy has not let me down. It's been on the grill over 5 hours, and the internal temp just dropped from 175 to 171. It's been at a steady 250 dome temp from the start, so I just kicked it up to 275....I'm about ready to finish it in the microwave (just kidding...I'm about 4 Icehouse's down)[p]10 PM, and I'm the only one (of four) from the household home..There's corn on the cob, baked potatoes, salad, (maybe) brisket, and a sauce I made from beef bones, brisket trimmings, onions, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, wine, seasoning, hot peppers, vinegar, honey, horseradish.....[p]Sometimes a guy is just content to drink beer.[p]Mike in Minneeeesooo-taaaah

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]Sounds like you'll have a few more Icehouse's before you're ready. The sauce sounds tasty and I bet it would keep an ice hole from freezing up. :)

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Kimchee is as much a staple to the Koreans as brats are to us here in the Northwoods of Wisconsin...especially in parking lots all over the state on game-day (any parking lot, any game). Heck, our biggest excitement once the seasons are over (Packers, hunting, road construction)is when we are able to see the North Pole on clear days. No matter the occasion, brats are there (although the hard-cores around here still insist on getting their brats from local butchers, Johnsonville is the local brat factory here and there is no shame in buying them at a grocery store. Good cjoice as far as I'm concerned. I never knew that people outside of Wisconsin indulge in such culinary delites as bratwurst. Broast and enjoy![p]Mike in MN: See you at Lambeau this Sunday?

• Mike in MN
    Options
    WDAN,
    Believe it or not, this may be blasphemy or sacreligious...but I don't really follow the football stuff. I know, I know...but when I was young, my buddies took care of my love for football for me. (I was always the smallest, and I always got beat up) So, I just did'nt spend all my waking hours developing plays on a chalkboard. And, for sure I don't have that Vikings/Packers thing going.[p]Sorry, but... I might be coaxed into producing a heck of a tailgate party! I could spend the whole game in the parking lot drinking beer (not the customary Bud or Miller) Have fun, eat, drink, and (in my case) do Mary.[p]Oh ya, I had egged Brats this past weekend, and they were GOOD! I jazzed up the toasted bun with raw onions, sport peppers, fresh tomato wedges, mustard, and celery seed.[p]Mike in MN (about 10 miles from the dome)

• GrillMeister
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Thanks for the tip.[p]Since they are boiled, how long do you smoke them and at what dome temp?[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    I have used this recipe many times and it's GREAT.
    Larry

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Here is the recipe.
    Larry

[ul][li]Char~Woody's Firecraker Brats[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]We did some boiled in beer brats not long ago and they turned out great, though we had divided opinions in the household about the cooking method. I liked the boiled in beer ones better and Mr. Hyde liked the straight on the grill ones better (why waste good beer in a pan - drink it!). [p]brat-dogs-patties.jpg[p]QBabe
    :~)[p]

• Mr. Hyde
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]On the subject of brats, what kind of a bun is best for a brat?

• wdan
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Par-boiling in beer is pretty much standard procedure around here. A lot of folks toss in sliced onion as well. I usually carmelize the onions in the pot first and then deglaze with the beer. Toss in the brats a bring up to just simmering and then remove from heat. I just want to infuse some flavor rather than do much actual cooking. People around here tend to boil the gebeezers out of them to make sure the pork is not "under-cooked" and to avoid too many major flair-ups on the grill. You may have noticed that when heated on the grill, brats behave like Harley's that were built in the 70's...they can leak a lot of oil.
    A total cooking time of 25-30 minutes is all you should need (I believe that is also how long Johnsonville actually recommends) and you want at least enough grill time to get a nice brown jacket on them. Again, just be careful with the boil (I prefer to think of this phase as more of a marinating procedure)...it is pretty easy to overcook these critters into dried-out cobs.

• wdan
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    The sporting events are merely the excuse for having the tailgater...sounds like you're on board with that notion![p]The brat accessorizing you described reminded me of my days growing up in Chicago where the street vendors dressed the hot dogs in similar fashion and affectionately called them "Garbage Trucks." I think I know what's for dinner tonight. [p]

• wdan
    Options
    Mr. Hyde,
    Up here in Bratland, the local bakeries actually make "brat buns." They are quite a bit heavier/more dense in texture than commercial hot dog buns and a bit drier too. To me, they could be very close cousins to Kaiser rolls that just happen to be shaped for sausage use.