Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Glove Suggestions?

spbull472spbull472 Posts: 128
edited 1:43PM in EggHead Forum
Well, after about a year of use I finally need to replace the gloves that I have. They were your basic fireplace gloves and went pretty far up the arm.

Anyone have suggestions on some good gloves that can handle the heat? I do alot of cooks where I start out indirect and then move to direct, so they have to be able to handle a hot platesetter. They also need to be long as sometimes I'll have a cast iron grate pretty low in the egg over a really hot fire (think steak searing) and want to feel as little heat as possible.

Any good recommendations out there?

Thanks in advance and long time no see all!

P.S. About a couple months ago I finally decided to try a "spatchcocked" chicken. I'm never turning back as that has to be the best way to cook a chicken. Also, have making pizza almost down to an art form. So many yummy things done and so many more to try.

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,088
    ORKA recommend the longer length and shop around for price.

http://www.biteofthebest.com/orka-silicone-oven-mitt/
  • spbull472spbull472 Posts: 128
    I have one of their long silicone mitts and I find that it gets hotter than heck. Yes my hand is protected but it gets really hot, maybe because the glove is black (probably picking up all the heat from soaking up the sun). :)

I'm looking for a pair of gloves, along the style of fire place gloves. Any good recommendations there?
  • DHallDHall Posts: 180
    Look for a good heavy set of welding gloves at your local home improvement box store or welding supply place.
  • DutDut Posts: 81
    I use some foundry gloves and also the gloves from Ace Hardware, grill life I think is the brand name. I can move grates, plate setters etc with no problems.
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    I have a set of the silicone gloves, not the Orca's, they work, but scare the sh_t out of me when I pick up the plate setter, I just picture the gloves melting and just my hand grabbing the setter alone. But not the case they work fine.
  • DrZaiusDrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Here are a few idea's. I hope this helps. :laugh:

glove1.jpg

glove2.png

Knitted-Gloves.jpg

Sorry, Couldn't resist :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • fayegrfayegr Posts: 12
    That sounds like a great suggestion. I have some gloves I bought at Target, silicone mitts but just the mitt part..made by OXO. Seem to be working fine but haven't tried moving plate setters etc. once the egg has been heated up!
  • I bought some silicone gloves at T.J.Maxx for $6. They are good up to 600 degrees.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!
  • I use the Lodge gloves.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=gear&idProduct=4069

I was able to try them at a local store that stocks Lodge cast iron.
  • bobSTLbobSTL Posts: 105
    I got these at a welding supply store. Just don't leave them out in the rain!!
    As they say, if the gloves don't fit..... :(

Gloves.jpg

Bob
  • NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    BTW, my silicon gloves did melt while handling a platesetter :S Now I have a pair of welders gloves and they do the job as long I don't two step around while setting down the 500+ degree item.
  • Jersey DougJersey Doug Posts: 460
    I bought a $10 pair of leather BBQ gloves from Fred's Music and BBQ. They do the job as long as I don't stand there holding the hot pizza stone, which I use as a heat deflector for indirect cooks, longer than necessary.
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    love it
  • RVHRVH Posts: 523
    You left Oklahoma a long, long time ago, right?
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    Might want to see if you like thes if you have an ACE hardware around.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/grillmark-leather-grill-glove-p-68632.html

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • BConkBConk Posts: 72
    I got the Tillman 1080 Welding gloves. They're well insulated - I can pick up the platesetter no problems. They're even a very nice Royal Blue color. The only thing I don't like is the insulation fuzz inside them gets caught on my fingernails and I don't notice it until I'm eating the pizza
  • spbull472spbull472 Posts: 128
    RVH wrote:
    You left Oklahoma a long, long time ago, right?

If you were talking to me, yes I left Oklahoma in 1996.