Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers strategy??

Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the preferred way to cook hamburgers on the BGE?

Leave the top open and just cook them on the grate with one flip of the patties?

Somehow cook them slower with the top closed? If so, at what temp?

Other?

Thanks!

Comments

• tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    My family seems to like them best when I cook them 350-400 on a raised grid. Top closed 1 or 2 flips. Cooking them slower with top down seems to give them that good taste. When I cooked them hotter on a low grid they got done real quick and did not get much charcoal taste. My 2 cents.
  • Chef Boyaree
    Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
    I had a very successful hamburger cook this past weekend. Got the temp up to around 550-600, put the burgers on and closed the lid and kept bottom vent and daisy wheel wide open. Cooked for 2 minutes, opened egg and flipped them, then closed lid (same position for daisy wheel and vent as before). After another 2 minutes, I opened egg again, flipped them, then closed lid and shut bottom vent and daisy wheel. Left them on egg for about 2 more minutes. The patties I used were nice and thick and the final product was a nice medium rare burger. When done this way, the burgers are very juicy (to the point where you might want to give them a few minutes to cook so the juices don;t burn you).
  • Chef Boyaree wrote:
    Got the temp up to around 550-600, put the burgers on and closed the lid and kept bottom vent and daisy wheel wide open. Cooked for 2 minutes, opened egg and flipped them, then closed lid (same position for daisy wheel and vent as before). After another 2 minutes, I opened egg again, flipped them, then closed lid and shut bottom vent and daisy wheel. Left them on egg for about 2 more minutes.

C, This sounds like a good strategy.

I would have thought leaving the daisy wheel only partially open in the first two stages would generate more smokiness.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    are you doing them high in the dome or low?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chef Boyaree
    Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
    If the daisy wheel is only partly open you might not get the searing on the outside as much, though that will definitely work to cook the burger (might take a minute or so linger). My wife actually doesn;t love too much of a smoke flavor, but taste is an individual thing. I will tell you that the egg makes great burgers... just watch closely becaus ethe high temps can overcook quickly...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Closing the top doesn't slow the cook down, it just helps prevent flare-ups. I usually do burger with an elevated grill, direct, dome 350 - 400. That's enough fire that if I have more the 4 - 5 burgers, I start getting flare-up at the second and last flip, when I add cheese.
  • Peter, what percentage of fat does your hamburger meat contain? That will make a lot of difference in your strategy. B)
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Here's my 2 cents worth. We like our burgers juicy, smokey, and 1/2 lb. So, I use a raised grid, direct, but at a low & slow 250° dome. Add a nice chunk of hickory or guava, and let 'em cook for 20 min on each side. I've added wooster already to the meat, and like montreal steak seasoning on both sides.
    If you've got the time, you won't be sorry.
    oops.... forgot to mention 80/20 ground chuck
  • If you make an indentation in the center of your burger with your thumb, it won't puff up in the middle. Try it. It works!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Desert Oasis Woman wrote:
    Peter, what percentage of fat does your hamburger meat contain?

D, That's a good question; however, I prefer to have a strategy so that I don't have to worry about the fact ratio.
  • Chef Boyaree wrote:
    I had a very successful hamburger cook this past weekend. Got the temp up to around 550-600, put the burgers on and closed the lid and kept bottom vent and daisy wheel wide open. Cooked for 2 minutes, opened egg and flipped them, then closed lid (same position for daisy wheel and vent as before). After another 2 minutes, I opened egg again, flipped them, then closed lid and shut bottom vent and daisy wheel. Left them on egg for about 2 more minutes. The patties I used were nice and thick and the final product was a nice medium rare burger.

C, This method worked quite well...

3685381588_6072c7dbe6.jpg

Each patty was about 1/2 pound before cooking.

I wonder, though, if it might not be a better idea to cook them on the 1st side for 3 minutes, then the 2nd side for 3 minutes, then close the vents and just leave them (without flipping them again) for 2 more minutes.

This would be the same length of total cooking time and would eliminate one of the flips which can sometimes cause the patties to start falling apart.

Any thoughts on this idea?