Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

nomex- super 77 - so far so good

Options
GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I replaced my gasket w/ the upgrade Nomax gasket using Super 77 to keep it in place. I have done 2 cooks low & slow at 225 and just did some grilling at 350. All looks good! :) next step 600 + for steaks

Comments

• lilaccityhearth
    Options
    Nomex is the way to go. Good luck with the steaks
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    Thanks lilacityhearth, sounds like you have been down this road as well.

I am thinking porterhouse. :cheer:
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I did mine about three months ago, haven't looked back and, knock on wood, the nomex and super 77 are doing their job.

Good luck!
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 9
    Options
    Fried my first gasket making pizza at 550 ten days after buying my large. Picked up a nomex from the mothership who told me I should have had the plate setter feet up and the stone on the grid when making pizza.
    Anyway, replaced my gasket on Saturday and did a cook at 375 yesterday with no problems. Still paranoid and getting ready to do pizza again. Wish me luck.
  • BGE Dawg
    BGE Dawg Posts: 26
    Options
    I've done pizza with the legs up as the mothership directed you. Works great. However, my gasket is falling off. I'm going to get the nomex gasket soon.
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 9
    Options
    Fired her up and made some pizza last night, with legs up.

Temp peaked at just under 600 but it ran mostly between 475 and 550 during the cook. The gasket held up fine. Pizza was good but the pizza I made when I fried the gasket with the plate setter legs down was better - may have been because my temps were higher, or because the heat transfer from the plate setter to the stone gave a crispier crust.

I'm going to go back to the legs down way and see if the gasket lives. Replacing it was no big deal and if I fry it again I'll go back to the mothership and get myself another nomex gasket.