Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Adobe Acrobat Help

Semolina Pilchard
Semolina Pilchard Posts: 768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How can I highlight, then copy something in Adobe? I can not even highlight it.

Comments

• emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Can't unless you have the Adobe Acrobat creator version [distiller] and the file is not locked by the author.
    E
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    sometimes I get .pdf's that are just .jpg's converted to .pdf even though they seem to have text in them.

That may be what you're dealing with. Otherwise, you should be able to grab the right cursor to copy text with the full version and not acrobat reader.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    As emilluca pointed out you can't with the Reader. You need the full version of Acrobat. If you were running Unix there are a number of shareware products out there that can read PDF files.
  • BConk
    actually - I just checked on my wife's laptop - you can copy text even with acrobat reader if the document wasn't locked by the author.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Some folks like to think you can't but...

There are a couple of programs that will let you edit/change pdf's. I saw one last week that was free.

I am in the middle of a project, do a google search for editing PDF's look for something that is freeware.

If you can't find anything let me know and I will see if I can find where I saw the program or where to get the program. I need to complete what I am working on then I can do some searching.

Kent
  • BConk
    Quick way to check if the .pdf you want to copy even has text is to open the file, click on File, then properties, then font. That should show which fonts were used - if nothing appears there then it's a .pdf made from a picture of text and you won't be able to copy the text.

If there are fonts listed, check File, then Properties, then Security and see if it's locked.
  • Thanks for all the help.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hey Semolina,

I have Adobe Reader 8 and tried opening several pdf documents and could highlight, copy and paste from all of them into Windows Notepad. You may want to see if you have the latest version of Adobe. Just a thought.

Gator
  • Grandpas Grub
    Hummmmm....

I did a quick google search and there were tons of hits on editing a PDF file.

However, at this time I wasn't able to find a free 'edit' pdf program.

I am sure I saw or someone told me about a free edit pdf program. I'll keep looking. In the mean time for those that are interested here are 3 (free to use) programs that will create or generate pdf programs. I haven't use any of them so no recommendations. They are all free so play with them and see which is easiest.

This will not edit but will create (free)

www.primopdf.com
    www.dopdf.com
    www.sourceforge.net

Hope this is of use to someone.

GG

[url][/url]
  • Grandpas Grub
    Gator, I think he want's to change/edit the original pdf not export from the original.

GG
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Foxit will allow you to highlight...

jut google it..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Will it allow to edit and change? and the cost if any?

GG
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Thanks Kent . . . never mind Semolina. :laugh:

Gator
  • icemncmth
    Nope...you would need Adobe Standard....

There are a few things using Linux.
  • icemncmth
    You can download Adobe Standard and Pro and use it for 30 days...!
  • Grandpas Grub
    I was just looking at the Foxit 'stuff' they do have an editor for $99. However, on the screen it shows you can get a free 6 month license.

So it there is only a short period of time that semolina Plichard needs it that will work. Or as and alternative he can use the Adobe for 1 month.

Foxit looks pretty neat.

GG
  • icemncmth
    I like foxit...it is a lot faster than Adobe. If you only need something for a quick fix I would download the trial version. Now some trial versions will leave a watermark...

The best thing is to find an Adobe standard CD load it and use it for 30 days for free
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I think you want to cut in Acrobat Reader and paste somewhere else.

Very easy. Select the 'hand' in Reader (I have Reader 9.0), now simply perform a drag and cut the text portion. When done, right click and select copy.

Now you can paste that into MS Word or some other program. Make sure it is not an image cope or this will not work. But text works just fine, do it all the time with Reader.