Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FoodSaver

Options
ILL--EGGER
ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally bit the bullet and bought a FoodSaver (model #V3460) as i've read how nice they are for freezing food's as well as marinateing foods. Hope to get some idea's on use's by searching old posts on the forum here but mainly want to use it to freeze extra pulled pork and be able to re-heat it in boiling water as that sounds like the best way to do it. Here is the one I got last night:
DSCN3081.jpg

Comments

• Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    You will love your food saver, you will find out that you will save a lot of money in the long run. You can buy meats in bulk and cut up to the size portions for you and the family. :)
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Any time we discuss food with friends and family we bring up the food saver and when they don't have one we always ask, "How is that possible" ... we recently had to get a new one ... our third over the years ... and it came with the marinade container. Also has the marinade cycle on it ... pumps air out for a few minutes, then lets air in then pumps back out ... seems to work great!

Buy food in bulk, save, always have it on hand and don't worry about when you bought it ... you'll love it!

Make sure you label your bags with food type and date with a sharpie before you add it to the freezer. I assure you that soon you'll have a freezer full of frozen chunks of meat and you'll wonder which is which and when you put it in there if they aren't labeled!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Congrats! You'll get lots of use with it. I didn't get one until I read about how useful they are from the good folks on the forum.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Where did you get it? I've been looking for one. How much?
    Thanks.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    If you vac cooked foods and are ready to reheat, just drop the bag in boiling water to reheat.
    Im on my 5th or 6th F/S.
    Dont buy knock-off bags, you'll be sorry.
    Great Product!
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    I bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond for $139 and then used there 20% off coupon to bring down the cost. They had another version of this one with a built in hose to use for containers but the price difference didn't seem worth it for that option.
    I also bought (2) 11inch freezer bag rolls to use with it.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    The food saver is a must, we just ate some Albacore from 06 and it was great.

GOOD FRIENDS AND GOOD EATS

DALE
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You are going to love it.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    I was going to ask the same questions as Florida Grilling Girl. I have been looking at them all spring.

Gator
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    I have been using an old demi for years. I prefer the demi because they use common gallon storage bags. The food saver has its own bags, which can be expensive. But they both do the same, seal out air and freezer burn. Without air, foods last years. Now they have those portable hand held units that work great, but their bags are smaller.
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Faith,

If you are a Costco member, or know one, you can get their newest model as well as 12 pre-sized bags, a full roll, and the marinade container for $159 online. Often in the store it is even less.

JM
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I saw one at Sam's club for $99. I tried to look up the model # when I got home, but couldn't find it. I didn't know which model is the best.
    Thanks for the heads up on Bed Bath and Beyond. I will check there next.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Steve,
    Just like your eggs themselves you'll soon swear you'll never be without a FoodSaver again! You'll even find novel ways to use it like when I bake cookies at Christmas I seal them for protection and freshness so they can be mailed to family.
    IMG_1416.jpg

Or make ahead meals such as these stuffed green peppers that last a long time. I still have 3 more to have from a dozen I made last fall!
    IMG_2479.jpg

or pints of ham and bean soup and chili too.
    IMG_0961.jpg

BTW here's my little hint on how to fill bags with soup and keep the walls clean. Just cut the bottom off a plastic glass and insert it in the bag.
    IMG_0958.jpg

I then close it with a bag clamp and freeze. After frozen then I seal the bags.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I saw a Food Saver Vac 360 that comes with a Food Saver Store and Cut. It is only slightly used. Is this a good one to have?
    Thanks.

Faith
    Tampa, FL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    depends on what slightly used means...like the guy selling the Corvette as new since it only had 500 miles on it...just didn't bother to say all 500 were put on a quarter mile at a time burning down the drag strip!

Just be aware that the vacuum pump can go bad in a FoodSaver or someone could have let it suck liquid into it. Personally for the few dollars to be saved I'd go new or at least a factory refurbished one.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Don't forget non-food uses as well:

Storing batteries/tools on a boat
    Long-term storage of tools/firearms/etc.
    I always have a roll of toilet paper sealed in my jeep and with my hunting gear
    Pre-cut and pre-measure ingredients for meals on camping trips
    Seal books, maps, etc.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Check out WalMart on roll bags. Got a good deal on a box with 2 large rolls and 3 small rolls.
    Also Cablella [sp] has deals occasionally. I use cannisters for liquid and food savor has a hand help for them that cabellas has dirt cheap.
    E