Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beautiful Butt!

Options
Bigsmoke
Bigsmoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well folks, I did it. An all night butt smokin'. Please, no lewd thoughts. I marinated it for 24+ hrs (not that that makes a big diff)beforehand. Last night around 10, after Auburn got their butts beat, I put my butt in the egg (following NakedWhiz's instructions). At 7 pounds, I estimated between 13 & 15 hrs for cook time. Got my temp just right, and steady at 230*. I checked on the temp around 11:30, and it hadn't budged. GOOD NIGHT!
Well I slept a little later than normal, still beat from my trip to watch my Dawgs TCB. At around 8:30, I rolled over and checked my remote meat them. and it said 205*!!! Holy Crap!!! I jumped up, put some shorts on, mind you, and ran outside. For some reason the temp had gotten to 300* who knows when. I opened the egg, fearing disaster, and saw the most beautiful butt I've ever seen. It looked perfect! Must have timed it just right. Thank the Lord for meat them.'s, or it would have been pork jerky.
I brought it in, draped some HDAF over it, and read the sports page. Around 10, I uncovered it and started with my fork, pulling off one perfect piece after another. I couldn't finish before church, so I just got done, and I have 5+ lbs. of the best pulled pork I think I've ever had. Having only Egged for aorund a month, as you can tell I'm extremely proud, and amazed that it wasn't ruined.
My only concern is the temp that rose sometime during the night, and why. The lump was burned down in the center, but the sides appeared almost untouched. Hopefully, on my next attempt, it will maintain better. However, it's hard for me to complain now.
Hope you all have a great Sunday, and Labor Day. Here's to beautiful butts, cold beverages, and the DAWGS!!![p]-Bigsmoke

Comments