Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So new I don\'t even have a BGE yet

Options
rho1640
rho1640 Posts: 118
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
but I do have a question or two if you all don't mind...

I have read and read and searched and watched videos on YouTube and am still trying to figure out what size I need -- there are only 2 of us but I want to be able to do it all (of course) I do bread once a week or so, pizza once a week, would love to be able to use the dutch oven in it, and a cast iron fry pan, and oh so many things I have read you all doing -- so is a large the size I need

Anyone have any idea how I can convince my local dealer that he needs to have a demo day so I can see this in action in real life - I haven't even seen one - I talked to him this week but he said he hasn't done one in ages - I was hoping he would pop up with "maybe it is time to do a demo again"

And finally - how the heck do I convince hubby we need this in place of a gas one - I'm the one who will do most of the cooking on it - but I don't know how to get past his "the gas one is quicker" Right now I have a grill/griddle combo on my stove but that is on it's way out and I know my new won't have a grill.

Plus we live in an area with hurricanes and other weather related outages - and it seems like I can do most anything on this - not to mention - you all may complain about cooking on it when it is hot - but I don't have air conditioning and only one window in my kitchen so I would still be cooler outside than inside cooking -right??

thanks all....

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Start with a large. Now what are you waiting for,, get out there and get it the hubby will thank you later.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I agree with Pat go with a Large. Based on what you are wanting to cook you would be happier with the Lg. :)
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Vote for a large.
  • lilaccityhearth
    Options
    Large - plus it has the best eggcessories
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Large, and there is no reason to wait, its obvious you are already Egghead material. I'm sure we will meet you at a fest soon. -RP
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Well, first welcome to the forum!

I have cooked for 1 to 15 (others will tell you they cooked for more) on the Lg BGE... Have done pizza, biscuits, stew, vegetables and most kinds of meat, except for the overnight stuff like butts... The large is pretty versatile, especially if you add the extended grid...

I plan on adding a Small BGE to compliment the LG, mainly so I can do stuff at different temps...

I also live in a hurricane prone area and am comforted by the fact that I can do anything I want without worrying with propane (which scares the heck out of me anyway). I just make sure I have an extra bag (or two) of lump during hurricane season...

I have not found the waiting time to be significant for the egg to stabilize, maybe 15-20 minutes, which is time to prep what you are going to cook...

HTH... :)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Spoken like a true hurricane veteran. :laugh: I agree 100% You will be the only kid in the neighborhood with an oven a stove and a grill. :laugh:
  • rho1640
    Options
    First - thanks a million for the warm welcome --

I had to laugh at the egghead and seeing me at a fest sometime -- I so would have been to the one this weekend in NH but hubby already had lessons planned for today and for tomorrow and since his shooting instructions give him money to use towards his competition funds no way am I going to try to change that schedule :laugh:

As you can probably tell I was leaning towards the large - but I figured you all were the ones to set me straight if I was way off the mark.

I think I will be looking at the tables too - but how the heck does the wood that surrounds the egg not burn - I can understand the bottom with the tile or firebricks but I can't quite figure out the surrounding part....
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Where are you at? Maybe someone can recommend a dealer in your area.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Hello there and welcome to the forum.

There are two of us, our first was a large, then medium, then small, then mini.

Without blinking an eye - Large.

We also have the kids and grandkids come over and on the large if I plan, I can cook for all 24 of us.

Doing it all over again, 1st a large, then a mini, and then another large or maybe XL.

There are a lot of ladies on the forum that cook and some darn good eggers indeed.

Regarding your husband. Well, you gals have a huge advantage (at last resort).

Just remind him of the tools, cars, boats, golf clubs, fishing gear, and what ever other hobbies he has. My wife lets me get what I want, I would never (withing reason) ever say no to something she really wanted - no matter what it took.

If your husband likes to BBQ or Smoke food, it shouldn't take much at all to convince him, however, you will probably need a second one so you could use it.

Why you don't tell us about where you live, I would think there are a lot of people that would love to have you come over and do some cooking so you could see how the eggs cook.

Once I got my egg, I never used a gas grill or old smokers ever again.

Let us know. GG
  • rho1640
    Options
    waaay out on the Eastern End of LI, NY in The Hamptons.... there is a dealer about 15 miles away from me - and it sounds like he has one at his home - I will keep working on him doing a demo or something so I can see it (and smell it) in person :P
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If rho1640 can't find a dealer who will do a demo cook, any one out there willing to have a demo cook for the lady?

If I was close enough I would be happy to do a cook for them.

GG
  • rho1640
    Options
    Just remind him of the tools, cars, boats, golf clubs, fishing gear, and what ever other hobbies he has. My wife lets me get what I want, I would never (withing reason) ever say no to something she really wanted - no matter what it took.

hey the only thing you missed were the guns and the competitions (so entry fees, hotels, meals, gas etc tacked on) Sounds like you know hubster hehehe
  • AnnaG
    Options
    If you can give us a general idea of where you are located, I am sure that someone will be willing and able to help you out... As far as I know, no Olathe serial killers here (sorry, inside joke), only friendly people wanting to help... :)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi rho1640,

Welcome to the forum. I love my medium but cooking for more then one I would go with the large also. I think for baking a large is much more practical.

Gator
  • rho1640
    Options
    Hi AnneG I think we were posting at the same time - I'm out in "The Hamptons" on the far Eastern End of Long Island, NY -- you know where all the rich and famous come for the summer -- darn I sure wish I was one of them :laugh: and where the new show Royal Pains is supposed to be -- and where Giada did a 3 day weekend show this past week - and you know I have never been to a one of the restaurants she went to ...lol
  • AnnaG
    Options
    Hee hee... sounds like a happening area... I have friends heading to Martha's Vineyard next week... Not sure if that is close to you, geographically challenged... I only know where I am when I am there... Hee hee... :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    rho1640 wrote:
    Sounds like you know hubster hehehe

I is one with a very good wife. Toys R Us takes on a whole new meaning.

Love shooting, I am a good shot but never have been to a competition.

After the initial request/statement say honey, you know that gun you don't use often, do I need to sell it for my new egg? I am quite sure you will have his complete attention.

:laugh: GG
  • rho1640
    Options
    as the crow flies Martha's Vineyard isn't far but to get to it is complicated lol and would take about 6 hours --involves an hour or so to get to the ferry her then another couple of hours on the road another ferry and lots of money to the ferry companies :)
  • rho1640
    Options
    have to brag a bit - hubby is a Master Class Shooter in Sporting Clays so no where higher to go (other than beating all the professional shooters in the class with him)

And that wouldn't work he would tell me to sell my guns to buy the egg lol
  • AnnaG
    Options
    yeah, that is what they said... it was more cost efficient to drive than to fly (from MS) and then try to get to the Vineyard... Can't wait for them to get back and share details of where they ate... :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: You are going to have to go back to the original idea.

Master Class Shooter in Sporting Clays that's a great accomplishment. Congratulations.

GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Agreed -- If you can afford it, get a large. I have a Medium and a Small. I do all my baking on the small, and never put meat in it -- This way, I can bake apple pie and not have "stinkies."

Of course, you can clean out your Egg -- but with a dedicated Egg, I don't have to be so fussy.

I love my Medium... but so many times wish I had a Large.

BTW -- If your dealer can't demo the Egg, he shouldn't be a dealer [IMO]. Zheesh! What a better way to sell Eggs!

From my experience, people with gassers get rid of them once they get ceramic cookers. Gas is fast, clean. Charcoal is slower, dirty to handle.

But -- Gunness! -- Once you've had a cookoff, side-by-side with a friend who has a gasser, you'll be glad you got an Egg!

~ Best!

~ Broc
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi and welcome to this great forum.

I bought my large without ever tasting anything cooked on it. I knew the concept would work. That was in 1996. Yep, it works.

Get the Large. Tell the hubby it's the last grill you ever have to buy. It becomes very economical when you think of it that way.

I would suggest going to an eggfest this summer. That will do it for both you and the hubby and you can buy one at a discounted price there.

Good luck to you.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    This is my first post. I have spent the last year (since I got my BGE) learning from this forum. That, and my Dad is a mean egghead. I bought a large and have been very satisfied. There are just the two of us as well. Oh, and I have not used the oven since I bought it--cooking at least 4 times a week on it.

My dad, who is my BGE inspiration, built me a beautiful table for my BGE for Christmas. I will treasure it always-much better than the nest.

As a wife whose husband was not as excited as I was about getting one--just go get it. He will indeed thank you later.

As for the weather, we had snow this year for the first time in a while and I cooked fabulous chili and cornbread on the BGE.

This is a cult...... :)
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I understand wanting to see an egg in action before buying one. If that is not possible for you, don't sweat it. Two points on that, everything you have heard about the egg is true, and from everything you have said you are well suited for the egg. As everyone else has said, I would go with the large. As for power outages, be sure to have a decent supply of charcoal on hand.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    a long while ago i suggested that BGE and its dealers consider a kind of 'ambassador' program.

guy walks into an egg dealership, not sure about the bge. asks some questions, dealers answers them, then hands the guy a business card with a coupla-few names of local forum members who've agreed to help answer questions.

it'd be ideal if the dealer could close the deal, but would be a wider net they'd cast with some volunteers to do demo cooks or answer questions over the fone
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Contact your dealer and see if he might give you a list of people he has sold Eggs to. Contact them and see if maybe one of them would give you a demo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I think that's a terrific idea Jeff! OTOH (tooting my own horn I guess) but these classes I conduct seem to help people who are either on the fence or are newbies.
    http://www.hearthandpatio.net/classes/cookclass.html
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    rho1640 -

I had a medium for 14 years before moving up to a large this year. We bought the medium trying to be cautious buyers, there were only three of us, etc. All the normal rationalizations.

In all honesty it worked well 90$% of the time. But I'm finding that the large is *much* easier to light, much more conservative in its reuse of charcoal, and physically easier to cook on (the angle from the edge to the grate is shallower making it easier to work with spatulas).

The mothership in ATL has a policy that if you buy a medium or a small, you can come back within 30 days and exchange it for a large, paying only the difference. They say almost 80% of buyers come back for the large.

If you have the extra bucks go large and never look back.

Bob V