Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ot SuperTarget BBribs

Options
rosros
rosros Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Saw ad this morning for hormel always tender baby back ribs for 1.79/lb. The always tender probably means enhanced cyro vac. Still a great price for the upcoming 4th.

These type of ribs are loin back ribs and not the true thinner baby backs, but still tasty.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    remember that the "enhanced" means basically they have been brined, and that up to 15% of the total weight is "solution added" (or, brine, basically saltwater, etc.).

that means, at 1.79 per pound, hormel pork (the meat) actually costs 2.10 per pound. the other way to look at it is that you are paying 26 cents out of every pound for just water.

cryovac is great, but the solution added stuff is a rip-off (profit maker)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • rosros
    Options
    I agree on the enhanced solution. Even at the supermarket meat counter the ribs are usually from the enhanced ribs, but they do not tell you. I go specifically to stores that advertise their meats do not contain any solution. Tender cuts like baby backs do not need enhancements and actually changes their texture. And correct, the enhanced is an extra 12% profit or you are getting 12% less meat.

One good thing about enhanced meat is higher temp quick cook if you are in a hurry.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Ribs are never OT. Two weeks ago I saw cryovaced half racks of ribs in the Weis in Hamlin PA. Never saw that before.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    OK, so $2.10 is still a good price for these ribs. I took advantage of the $1.49 St Louis ribs they had a month ago.
  • rosros
    Options
    I also see enhanced chicken....ugh. Has a strange aftertaste. If I want to marinade my chik, I want to use my own solution.
  • Unknown
    Options
    plus he can make them fall off the bone in 3 hours without foil.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    glad you didn't take my comments as a slam.

it's just galling that the market has steered producers to this extra lean low flavor pork, and because it's so difficult to cook, they 'enhance' it with solution to keep it from drying when the consumers over cook it.

the stuff i see at the wholesale club up here (BJs), doesn't say it's enhanced, but i always assume it probably is. ain't like anyone behind the counter can actually answer the question. hahaha

it's usually 1.99 a pound for spares i think, at BJs.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BJ's, Sam's or Costco's Ribs are NOT enhanced..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    They have to by law tell you they added a solution to the package.

Somewhere on that that they will say 5-15% solution added.. Same with Chicken, though chicken is enhanced with broth.

Enhanced Pork + Brine + Low heat + time = HAM.. If I want ham I will buy ham.