Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5th cook, first butt

Options
ranchonodinero
ranchonodinero Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
5th cook and first pork butt. Never thought I'd send images of my butt over the internet, but here is the start of an 11 lb pork butt. Used dizzy dust and some steak seasoning.575565837_mu2HP-L.jpg.
Got the rack at Lowes for cheap. Got to use my new wireless thermometer.575587190_j64V9-L.jpg
And found that it also works poolside-it doesn't show the outdoor temp which was 103 down here-but it did show me that the egg thermometer is off by about 20 degrees .575586759_qa67P-L.jpg

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Lookin good. Upside down V rack is not necessary. Just set the butt on the grid with a drip pan underneath
  • EggHead09
    EggHead09 Posts: 52
    Options
    The grid temperature is not always the same of that of the dome. have you calibrated both thermometers to know if they are working properly. Make sure that you use a butt pan. Slow cook around 225-275 at about 1.5 hours per lb and when the temp really drops and so does that of your meat just let it ride and enjoy your beer its just the break down of the meat. Pull it off when its aver 190 if your having pulled pork! Enjoy!!!
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Thanks! I have a butt pan with some apple slices in it. The "V" rack look alike came from Lowes-think it was around 12. Temp of the lump has moved around a bit and had to go futz with the damper and daisywheel as it went from 220 to 235 for no apparent reason. Internal temp is showing 137.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Welcome to the butt club, many more to come after this one, I'm sure....looks great B)
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    Looks fantastic. Only lesson I learned after smokeing butts is that more is better and it's just as easy to cook multiples,freeze or give away the left overs, as it is to cook one :laugh: . Great looking cook and thanks for shareing.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Overnight temps went up a bit-about 240 now and butt temp of 181. According to weight, it looks like I should have about 5 hours or so left. I could see why people like the cyber q type devices.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    As I sit here typing this, I am in a serious food coma! The butt took 22 1/2 hours to get to the magic 200 degrees.
    576436389_LvJY6-L.jpg
    Have you noticed that the final 6 degrees can take forever!
    576437067_Bo3D3-L.jpg
    All the water evaporated from the drip pan!
    576447453_ZqAn3-L.jpg
    We ate it on fresh baked rolls with no sauce and put a dollop of cole slaw on top. Couple of observations: next time I plan on injecting it with some sort of marinade. I cooked this mostly at 220 but there were some ups and downs. It was headed towards 200 so I gradually ramped up the temp. I just took out the drip pan and the plate setter and was surprised at how much charcoal was left-it looks like it could go another 10 hours easy! All in all a very easy and enjoyable cook!