Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE came home today!

Options
Bulldog Mom
Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just got our new BGE today after a year debating whether we should/shouldn't purchase. It looks awesome on my back patio. What should we try first?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

As for what you should cook, check your taste buds... it's all great.

Make sure you calibrate your dome thermometer.

GG
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    So cool. Fill it with lump, light it and bring it slowly up to temps and cook wings at 300-350, smoke some sausages with mild smoke to get the feel and then grill some fruit later like pineapple or peach. Have fun, Scott
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    That is great and Welcome! You have some great tasting fun coming up. I agree with GG, anything will taste great. Good Luck!

Don't be afraid to ask anything! There are a lot of helpful people on this website.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    OOOh... how do I regulate the dome thermometer? The second side of my CD didnt' work in my computer.

:blush:
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    congrats on your new EGG, you will love it, mite try some spatchcock chicken, very easy and great taste off the BGE, Have fun
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Welcome - Congrats on the purchase of the egg. You are gonna love it. Try the spatchock chicken. It's easy and will be the best chicken you have ever tasted.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Someone else mentioned the spatchock chicken too, I see. If you do a search in the search forum box, you will see many ideas for it.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Calibrate & regulate.

First off calibrate. Remove the dome thermometer from the egg.

Figure out the boiling point for where you are cooking. Use the boiling point calculator on the forum (Cookbook drop down menu above) or take off 0.5° for every 500' in altitude you are cooking above sea level.

e Get a pan of boiling water put the tip of the thermometer in the boiling water. On the back of the thermometer there is a nut. Use a 7/16" wrench to adjust the nut so the dial reads the temperature of the boiling water for your altitude. A little turn goes a long way. It might take a couple of dips in the boiling water to get it correct.

Many dome thermometers are way off when new - 40 to 70 degrees off.

Now to "regulate" temperature. When you light the egg work up to your desired temperature. When you are within 30 to 50 degrees begin to close down the vents.

I use the bottom vent for course adjustment and the DFMT (daisy) for the fine adjustment. The DFMT has a slider and petals.

I cook at 5000' elevation and my vents are a little more open than someone cooking at sea level. Click on this link for a Visual Guide of the settings I use for controlling different temperatures on my large. Your settings will be somewhat close.

There is more than one way to get to a given temperature, this is just what I do.

Have fun.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Yes indeed, chicken, spapatchcock or otherwise is always good.

GG
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    Thank you very much for your help! :kiss:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Your are welcome from the entire forum.

Have fun and don't forget to take and share some pictures. Help others when you can.

GG
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Congrats ... you've got a lot of new friends here in the forum! You'll soon be addicted and challenged to see what new things you can try on the egg. Don't delay going to an eggfest near you!!! We cooked for a year before attending the Waldorf Eggfest and were amazed at the fun and nice people ... and the education we received!

Hope you aren't a stranger!
    JM
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    and I expexted for you to suggest a fish cook.