Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help-felt comes off

Options
rlsrlj
rlsrlj Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I moved my medium size BGE to my new outdoor kitchen yesterday and I fired it up today. After grilling a few hamburgers I opened it up to take the hamburgers off and put a few hotdogs on. When I opened it I noticed the bottom felt band was coming off, after a few seconds the top band was sliding off. Some came off and went into the coals...so some of it was destroyed. This is only my 10th burn in the egg-this seems too soon-did I do something wrong? What kind of glue do I need to put the new on that came with it?

Thanks!
Richard

Comments

• USDA Prime
    USDA Prime Posts: 89
    Options
    Nope, didn't do anything wrong, mine didi that the very first time!!! :ohmy: . Just type in NOMEX in the Search box and all your questions will be answered including the 3M Super 77 adhesive.
  • rlsrlj
    rlsrlj Posts: 13
    Options
    does this mean that I will be replacing it every ten burns??

thanks!
  • USDA Prime
    USDA Prime Posts: 89
    Options
    Naw, just keep the temp kinda down for the next several burns. Some recommend putting the Nomex in the dryer to pre-skrink it before application.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    What it means is that it appears you received a egg with a known bad adhesive on the gasket.

Using any gasket with the 'bad' adhesive will result in the same problem in the first few cooks. When getting a new gasket make sure it does not have the 'bad' adhesive.

You should call your dealer or BGE and get a replacement Nomex Gasket. They will/should instruct you to replace the gasket with Nomex and use 3M Super 77 adhesive.

There has been a lot of talk about putting the Nomex in the cloths dryer for 15 minutes to pre-shrink the gasket.

Installed properly the Nomex should provide a long trouble free period of cooking.

GG
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You can use the 3M-77 if you want. I replaced one at the dealership with the replacement gasket that came with it. All I did was clean the surface with denatured alcohol and apply the new gasket. It's still working fine......no problem! By all means use the spare gasket they included with the egg. You can worry about Nomex or Rutland, or whatever, sometime in the future if need be. And, don't worry about a break-in period you may hear about......pure fiction!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yep, 3M 77 like the other say. Remove the backing and use the same gasket over. Works fine! Just a bad bath of adhesive.