Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump

Options
Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Don't know if this has been posted already or not... I searched the last few days posts and didn't see anything so here it goes. I live in the Tidewater area of Virginia... Lump is HARD to find here... it is limited to Cowboy, the BAD Royal Oak, so crappy off brand junk that Harris Teeter sells and of course the original Green Egg brand... anyhow I have a neighbor who I convinced to buy an egg... he ended up with two... well his wife works at ACE Hardware and he convinced her to carry Cowboy.... well it seems they got a memo the other day from Cowboy that said they will be DISCONTINUING the brand... OH NO !!! Bad news for me... I know alot of you can't stand the stuff but it is the best of the worst around here... it is a two and a half hour drive for me to get some Wicked Good so I guess I better stock up on Cowboy... they said there were 600 bags in the warehouse... I don't know if that is the Cowboy Warehouse or the Ace warehouse but it is gonna be slim pickins round these parts... Maybe The Whiz knows more about this?

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I use a lot of RO. I have access to the USA and Paraguay. I buy mostly USA. When USA is not available I go with Cowboy. I have to say that I've never had any problems with cowboy. It burns fine for me. I have been cooking a bunch for my parents lately and my dad just bought me 40 pounds of Cowboy. Good luck finding a new brand. I'm not sure if you have a Publix nearby but they have their own brand of lump (greenwise) made by RO I think. Not sure.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    ACE carries Wicked here in Georgia. So I would have her scratch up a deal with Wicked.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I use the Cowboy from Ace Hardware. I have tried some others, I guess I will start to look for another type. Thanks for the heads up.
    The BGE charcoal where I live is $20 for a 20 lb. bag!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    you might try smoooooooozing your local restaurant depot (RD) for a day pass, then load up. Our RD carries USA royal oak which is ok by me. About $9 per 20 pound bag.

http://www.restaurantdepot.com/Misc/locations.aspx

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    We don't have a Rest. Depot yet, but they are building one and it's opening in Sept.!!! Yeah!!!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    You can order and pay for Royal Oak online ($6.99/18#) and free ship to store from Ace.
  • fieroguy
    Options
    This is American Royal Oak.
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    I would worry about it being all broken into small pieces, having it shipped in like that.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Have you a link for this? I believe what you're referring to are the briquets!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Good Eats,

The phone number for Royal Oak is 678-461-3200. Call them the first of the week and ask where you can buy their lump in your area. I have done this in the past and they were very helpful.

Also, if you study the lump charcoal data base at: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag and you find a charcoal of interest the phone number is often given with the review. Call any interesting ones up, they love to help people find their products.

Good luck,

Gator
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    But don't you need to be a business to even get a day pass??? I would love to get into one but have no way unless I ask here at the pub as I know they to there.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    After reading this thread another thought would be if you have enough other Egger's maybe try to call and ask Wicked Good (or andy other brand you may like) what it would cost to truck a pallet into you and let the others pick it up. (But you would need room to store it)

Had a guy when I was in Ca. that did that, had a pallet trucked in then we that had committed to buying some picked it up from him.

Just a thought.

Good Luck,

Bordello
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Bordello, all you need it a tax ID # to get in. I would ask your pub friends if you could borrow theirs and go check it out.
    Hungryman went to Rest. Depot in Ft. Lauderdale today and called me from there. He is bringing back steaks that were $1.99 per lb!!.

Faith
    Tampa, FL

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I thought you had to be a business to go there. :huh:
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hungryman said he got his from applying online with a tax #ID. I am going to do the same thing since I have a tax ID#.

Faith
    Tampa, FL

• FSUScotsman
    Options
    No, it's just fine. I've had it shipped several times.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Unless they will take my SSN I'm out of luck.
  • fieroguy
    Options
    My bad - but they do have Frontier and Cowboy
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks,
    I have been looking at their web site and drooling to get in to look around. I know if I asked to go with them (pub) it would be O.K. I just prefer to be alone so I can take my time and look.

But I will take what I can get. :lol:

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    For what it's worth my ACE hardware has gone to Frontier brand from Cowboy. (Minneapolis, MN) I have plenty of charcoal options so I wasn't concerned with this switch.
    TTFN WLL
  • Unknown
    Options
    This thread concerned me because Cowboy (from Lowe's) is really the only simple option for me on my Egg. So I called Cowboy this morning and asked - it was news to them that they were discontinuing the brand. I was told there is no plan to discontinue anything. Anyone got an inside story that would suggest differently?