Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating ABTs - how are the results?

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, my friends, football season is here and I will be happily attending my first game of the season tomorrow night - UVa vs. Duke in Charlottesville (I'm a bit torn as a Duke grad and a C-ville native, Wahoo season ticket holder > no problem during hoops season but football is tougher - I digress...). Anyway, I signed up to bring ABTs to the tailgate, which I am planning to pre-make tomorrow a.m. on the Egg. My buddy has one of those portable Coleman deals that I was thinking I could use to re-heat the ABTs. Think they'll come good reheated, crisp up the bacon etc? Any tips?[p]Thanks and GO (TEAM??)[p]'Bread

Comments

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p]I actually just made my first batch of ABT's Wenesday and reheated a few in my toaster/oven in some foil last night and they were great![p]I have not mastered the technique as pulling the ABT's off the grill as some fell apart while trying to pick them up one at a time with tongs. I also got a very mild bunch of jalepenos I presume as there was virtualy no heat at all to them.[p]I might just do them on a piece of foil next time so I can just pick the whole thing up when done?!?!
  • Cornbread Willy,
    I cook extra ABT's all the time. I freeze them and when I want them I just let them thaw in the fridge or microwave defrost them. I have reheated them in the microwave. The bacon is not as crisp but they taste great to me. Reheating on a grill helps to keep the bacon crisp. Just make sure not to burn the bacon before they are heated through (you know how hard it can be to control temps and flare-ups in a gas grill).

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    abt52.jpg
    <p />smokinBoB,
    Try cooking them on a fish/veggie grid. You can get them at Walmart for about $10.[p]~nikki

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    smokinBoB,
    I just bought a 16" & 18" pizza screen that I plan to use for ABT's tomorrow. I will let you know how it works out.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p]Wow I'm sure the ABTs will taste great at your tailgate party! Another idea for leftover ABTs (not really a tailgate thing) is slicing them up & putting them in an omlette - that's one of my favorites.[p]Chuck
  • bigmikej,
    I have used a pizza screen before. The cheese that melts out of them gets stuck in the screen. I found it more difficult to clean than the type of grid posted by nikkig.
    The pizza screen is easier to use than the grill.