Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Butts

Options
Bigsmoke
Bigsmoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
TGIF, [p]Good morning to all. It's FRIDAY! Thank the good man upstairs. The egg will be in fine fashion this weekend. I'm looking to cook up two small to medium BosButts on Sunday. Just looking for recs. on the best way, pref low and slow. I'm just assuming the smaller, the more tender. Don't hesitate to correct me. As my wife often does.[p]Thank you in advance, and good Egging to you!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Bigsmoke,
    I slather mine in mustard, add Dizzy Pig coarse grind rub, and then cook at 250 dome temp until done. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Bigsmoke,
    I have not found that the smaller ones are more tender. They all cook the same from what I can tell. We slather ours with mustard and a hefty dose of rub (either Dizzy coarse grind, or Bad Byrons Butt Rub). Cook over a drip pan at about 200-250 until it's 200 internal, ours usually take 12-15 hours). Pull off, wrap in heavy duty foil, put in a heated cooler for a bit....then pull. [p]~nikki

• Bigsmoke
    Options
    nikkig,[p]Do you cook on a v-rack, raised grid, or what over the pan? And how long do you marinate?[p]Thanks

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Bigsmoke,
    We put a drip pan on the main grid, then just put another grid over that. We don't like to use the v-rack...just one more thing to have to wash. As for marniating, I have let it sit overnight, and dont it right before. I have not noticed a difference either way.[p]~nikki

• Bigsmoke
    Options
    nikkig,[p]Thanks a ton- I'll be sure to post the results on Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed![p]

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Bigsmoke,
    When I buy my boston blades, I look for the ones with the deepest red appearing meat, minimal fat running through it. It just seems to produce a better quality, end product.[p]I agree, I have not noticed a difference if they sit for 1 hr or 24 hrs with the rub/mustard. [p]I do not preheat my egg to 225. Once the fire gets started(on one side, so it can work down and across) I add the chunks of hickory, apple, maple, cherry and ???, put the plate setter, drip pan and grill together and add the meat...close the cover, and let 'er go. It usually takes about 1/2 hr to get up to 225....with LOTS of smoke. [p]My butts seem to take longer. (18-22 hrs) This is a real slow way to start, and it adds lots of smoke in the beginning when that meat is just sucking it all in.[p]Mike in MN