Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About Ready To Give Up On Pizza Dough

Options
Grillin&Chillin
Grillin&Chillin Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've made pizza on the egg 7 or 8 times. I've used dough from Trader Joes and Publix. I've also made my own dough. Only once did the dough turn out great. And by great I mean that it was easy to stretch and shape into a pie. It seems that every time I try to stretch the dough into shape, it either tears or immediately springs back to it's original size.
I've used several dough recipes including the famous (infamous?) Jeff Verazano's. The last time I left the dough in the refrigerator for 18 hrs before baking. I always let it come to room temperature before handling. I've tried adding gluten to bread flour and the last time I used high gluten flour.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i go to my favorite pizza place, buy raw doughs from them. . .easy peasy. . .most pizza joints are happy to sell you balls of pizza dough....
  • FossilPeddler
    Options
    I have two thoughts...

1) make sure there is enough water in the dough. If you look on Jeff V's website, he shows a picture of the dough after kneading... it looks very wet. If dough is too dry it will be hard to shape.

2) Did you allow the dough to rest prior to shaping? When I pull the dough from the fridge, I immediately form into a ball and let sit for an hour or so prior to shaping. This allows the dough to come up to temperature and rise a bit. The other day I decided to make three small pizzas out of two dough balls that had been rising for an hour. Once I formed the three balls I tried to stretch them into pizzas and they were very resilient, they resisted the shaping. After a rest of 15 minutes or so, they were very malleable. So I'm saying increase the time period between forming the dough into a ball and stretching dough into a pie.

Good luck!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    i form the pie half way, give another rest and then finish it up if it wants to spring back, that extra little rest seems to help. you also have to sing with an italian accent when tossing and spinning the dough :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi G&C

I think FossilPeddler is on the money, let the dough rest a few times as you shape it. I think adding gluten will only make it worse. If memory serves me, gluten is what is making the dough like a rubber band. I think Jeff V's site makes a valid point that how the dough is made/handled is more important then the flour. I use to get my dough from Publix and would have to let it rest once or twice for about 10 or 15 minutes while rolling it out or I would loose the battle.

Good luck,

Gator
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    FossilPeddler is correct, you need to let the dough rest after you shape it in any way. As you stretch it, the gluten toughens up and wants to spring back to it's original shape. The more gluten the dough has the harder it will be to work with, and the longer you will need it to rest. For most pizza dough you would not want to add extra gluten, the amount in a bread flour is plenty. I would perfect my technique with AP flour and once you get the hang of all of the other variables start experimenting with bread and high gluten flours. It also helps if you have some fat in the dough(olive oil, shortening, lard). Let your dough start to come to room temp, start to shape it, and if it starts to spring back let it sit for 10 minutes before you finish it. It is not difficult at all, it is just a matter of getting used to working with the dough. Don't give up! Once you figure it out you'll be making all kinds of bread products.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I use either the Publix dough or make my own. Either way we let the dough sit out at least 3 hours and have never had trouble working with it after that...give it a try as you will be amply rewarded when you get it right...you can be the master of your domain... :silly: :lol:
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    I agree with much of what's been said - I'd say the keys to a manageable dough and a nice pizza crust are lower gluten, higher hydration, a half hour autolyse before kneading, gentle handling - and letting the dough relax before making the pie.

I use all purpose flour or a 50/50 mix of ap and bread flour.

The ap flour makes a nice dough that is easy to stretch and form because of the lower gluten content.

I form the crust gently by dipping my hands in a bowl of flour then lifting the dough on the backs of my knuckles and gently stretching it. When it's too thin to stretch further in the air without tearing I lay it out on a semolina dusted wooden peel and finish the shaping.

Bread flour has more gluten and makes a dough that is easier to manhandle (tossing it and spinning it in the air..etc.) if that's what you like - but the dough tends to be more elastic and springy so it shrinks a bit when you're trying to put toppings on.

I'd think using a rolling pin would be too aggressive a treatment and would make a tougher dough than I want.

Besides having a nice wet dough at around 65% hydration - I think the next most important thing is to let the dough rest a half hour immediately after you mix it all together and form a ball. This rest, known as the autolyse, lets water soak into the flour.

I've found that with a proper autolyse I don't really have to knead the dough that much at all - maybe 3 minutes by hand - before it passes the windowpane test.
  • abacobrad
    abacobrad Posts: 12
    Options
    GIVE UP THE DOUGH! and try MamaMary's par-baked crusts. They have several varieties, we like the thin and crispy- it grills crispier than from a pizza oven! They also make thicker versions with raised edge which we love for breakfast pizza or personal pizzas for kids.

Brad B. BGEL, Weber Kettle, Refurbished old Charbroil commercial
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I have been having good luck using a Greek accent.
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Options
    I found Jeff's website a couple years ago and I follow his recipe and method 100%. I was having the same trouble as you and I e-mailed Jeff. His comment was that it took him 200+ times to get the stretching done right. Have another 100 trys to go myself but getting better every time. Hang in there!!!
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    G & C, I'm right there with ya. I actually have 2 dough balls in the fridge right now. I'll be pulling them out before long to try another time for good crust. I'm using the recipe that Fidel posted minus the Sir Lancelot. I could only find the bread flour.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I agree with ya. Tried a lot of recipes too and store bought and had issues. Finally found a local pizza joint that would sell me dough for only $2.50 each. I can spin this by hand and in 5 spins it is out to an 18" pie! Perfect now!