Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions on mini

Options
tomo
tomo Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been following the discussion on the mini. We have a large, but with only two of us, it is a bother to set up. I was tempted by the medium and the small, but I like the mobility of the mini.

My main question is: "How much can you cook on the mini?"

Also I see mainly steaks. Can you cook indirect on the mini?

Any other advantages you can think of, I would appreciate hearing about them.

tom

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    There have been some detailed posts recently that will answer your questions. Just scroll back and you'll no doubt find them.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have a medium and it is perfect for 2 to 4 people. That said my inlaws have a mini and I am thinking about getting one. I don't believe you could fit 2 steaks at a time or a whole chicken although where there is a will there is a way. Anyhow, love my medium!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Most of the time there are just the two of us also. My excuse to buy a mini was mobility, however, not once have I moved the mini other than to acquire some additional table space for food preparation.

We easily can cook for the wife and I as well as 2 or 3 of the younger grand kids using the mini.

My dealer kept talking me out of getting a mini which now I regret waiting so long. We use the mini all the time. For longer cooks or special set up cooks we next go to the large. Once in a while use the medium and only fire up the small because it's there.

Doing it all over I would get a large (maybe an XL) mini then second large (or possibly an XL if my first was a large).

GG
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have a medium and it is perfect for 2 to 4 people. That said my inlaws have a mini and I am thinking about getting one. I don't believe you could fit 2 steaks at a time or a whole chicken although where there is a will there is a way. Anyhow, love my medium!
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    Don't let my inability to find one deter you. I've got a large and a small. I'm going to get the mini because a lot of the time we just want two pork chops, two burgers, or I'm going to use it for tailgating. Even with a (small 6-8)crowd I figure it's going to cycle so fast that I can keep everyone fed with burgers and hotdogs. For sure it's not for doing chicken for 8 people.
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Options
    I have a lg, md and mini. The mini is perfect for two people. It can do 4 burgers or filets easily. The grate is also closer to the heat so it chars burgers and steaks perfectly. I also take it on the road with us for tailgating.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Isn't it wild about how many questions the mini conjures up? I guess it's because the little guy just is so small people are concerned about it's usefulness.

Do most of you buy the stand for it?
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    I have a mini on the way :woohoo: to go with my large, check out some of pics of food cooked on the mini......it was the pics that sold me, Florida Grillin Girl along with others have cooked some incredible food on the mini, I can't wait until mine arrives :P
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Ron,

I kept going to the dealer and looking at the mini. It looks like a novelty or toy. My dealer never sold one before me and kept talking me out of getting it.

It ended up being cheaper to buy the mini than to keep going to the dealer to look at it and wonder, should I get it.

I use the mini more than any of the other eggs (my L, M & S). I use the mini more than the M & S combined.

Inwardly I laugh every time I fill the mini up with lump. A hand full or two of lump is all it takes.

I don't particularly like the stand but I didn't have any other solution at the time and I didn't want to use the mini without something.

Kent
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I did not realize how much info was available.

My impression is that you cook direct. This is ok. I will go to the dealer and look at them....tom
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Thanks Kent,

That's sort of how I felt about the stand but I couldn't figure out any other way to use it when I tailgate that would be simple.

Looks like I've found a dealer not too far away that was getting ready to place an order for a bunch of larges and was willing to piggy back a mini in there for me. Now we are just talking price. I'm hoping for a little off since it's never going to hit his inventory or his showroom floor. I'll even pay in advance.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Out here eggs sell at retail or above, anyway that's the way it was when I got all of mine.

Hopefully you can some kind of discount. If I recall, I paid just under $300 for the mini & stand. I am thinking the stand was close to $70. For tailgating the stand might be a great way to go. I wonder about cushioning the egg while in the vehicle.

On the forum I have seen some nice stands/carrying devices built for the mini.

Kent
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd recommend getting an extra grid when you get the mini so you can do a raised grid and for indirect cooks.

Or you could get a woo-2 for it, The raised grid works great in the meantime and it stores right inside the mini.
    MiniGrid.jpg
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Ron, I have the stand for the mini. It doesn't fit perfectly, as the egg, and also the stand, isn't completely round, It holds it okay but there are "high spots" that contact the stands ring just here and there. This allows the egg to tip back and forth a little bit, but it is a good solution for holding the egg while cooking. If one wants to place the egg in the stand during transport, I would be concerned that the stresses on the high spot areas might damage the egg, so I wrap an old towel around first.
    You will enjoy having the mini. Recently someone posted images of kabobs placed vertically through the top vent. The daisy was removed and a small plate had been placed on the grid so the skewers wouldn't slide through. I hope to try this soon.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to get a piece of egg crate foam and just set it down inside of it, like a cupcake.

That kabob idea sounds super. I bet you could do a ton of shrimp in a hurry!!!
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I have the same rocking condition with the Mini in its stand. I thought about getting it lined up nice and level and running a bead of high temp silicone around the joint between the base and the stand. We plan to transport the Mini in the stand anyway when we go camping.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    That would look a lot better than my sheet of foam for sure.