Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

maybe redundant?

Egmont KeyEgmont Key Posts: 69
edited 1:40AM in EggHead Forum
Searched and couldn't find answer. Could a ceramic BGE, when very hot, break if rained on or something cold spilled on it?

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Nope...unless you had a very hot egg and deliberately dumped a cooler full of ice water over it (or *gasp* in it).

Rain won't hurt a thing.
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,275
    During the few years I've been on the board, the only breakage has happened when someone dropped and Egg. I can personally say that I have done sears in both thunderstorms and freezing rain, and there was no effect on the Eggs. I have spilled a few ounces of basting liquid on lower temp cooks without any damage.
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 10,015
    All rain does is wash the dust off and creates a great photo opportunity.

EggingInTheRain.jpg

Spring "Just 'a Smoke'n In The Rain" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • a while back mike in abita removed the fire ring and dropped in a cast iron grate that touched the sides of his egg ... heated up to sear temp cast iron expanded and craked the egg
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Yep..even with a really hot egg all you get is a little steam

EgginInTheRain.jpg
  • Egmont KeyEgmont Key Posts: 69
    Thanks. Just want to be sure. In Florida we getsome down pours from nowhere sometimes.
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    But that was caused by the loose nut between the egg and the ground. Not an act of nature..

Lets see if any of the Dem Dar Yankee Eggers post the pictures of their eggs smoking away buried in Snow..
  • Ct YankeeCt Yankee Posts: 7
    Hey Celtic Wolf, we Yankee's are smart enough to get in out of the snow. I'm not say'in we don't cook in the snow we just don't stand around takin pictures.
  • QPeteQPete Posts: 32
    Hey I like your moniker "Egmont Key", I am in Tampa, so the name caught my attention.

"Eggmont Key"?
  • Yeah, I was wondering how he got that name too. It's an island in the Gulf west of the Skyway Bridge.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!
  • Egmont KeyEgmont Key Posts: 69
    My mother was born on Egmont Key while my grandfather was stationed at the old fort on the key.