Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking "direct", with raised grid

Options
Patrick in Minnesota
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm puzzled about all this talk of cooking direct...the only time I ever tried cooking direct on my medium BGE, the chicken came out covered with an unpleasant SOOT! Is this because my grid was not raised? Or maybe I should light the charcoal from the TOP???(I always light it from the bottom, through the vent hole, using Webber firestarter cubes.) Also, I've heard that the fat that drips from meat, when cooking direct, may convert to carcinogenic compounds due to the direct flames....any comments on this? Thanks![p][p]

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,[p]I do the vast majority of my cooks direct w/o a raised grid. I haven't had the problem you describe however I do light my lump from the top.[p]Also, when cooking chicken I typically cook it at grilling temps (350 or so). Do you use grilling temps or something around 250 or so. I could see if your lighting from below and using lower temps that might create the difference.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• I cook chicken direct all the time, Patrick. I have never encountered the problem you describe. I cook at ~350°. I do thighs, mostly. I put 'em on once the Egg is at temp and cook skin side up for 45-50 mins and then turn over for 15-20 mins. I do about 30 thighs in 2 batchs at least once a month. I put 'em in the freezer for work lunch.[p]Jim
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    one cause of the soot could be putting the food over the charcoals to soon. i have found with poultry that to avoid the heavey smokey sooty taste to bring the egg up to desired temp, and then hold it there for 20 or so minutes until the heavy smoke from the charcoal subsides. i use a mapp torch and light from the top[p]

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ChickenOnSmall.jpg
    <p />Howd Patrick,
    Like Jethro and Jim, I love cooking chicken direct, and have not had the problem you describe. I cook in the 250-275 range when doing thighs/drumsticks, and they take somewhere around 90 minutes. [p]Only thing I can figure with your "unpleasant soot" is that either your fire is not established well, or your lump is damp. I have also seen people get a choking fat smoke from cooking a mess of untrimmed leg quarters with those huge globs of fat still on them.[p]Just some idears. As far as carcinogens in the fat smoke, it is a possibility but it has not been proven that it is harmful. Even so, it would take a large and sustained dose of these compounds over many years to cause harm. Use moderation as with everything.[p]Beers (in moderation)
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Patrick in Minnesota
    Options
    Isn't this forum GREAT! Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and suggestions! I'm going to try the raised grid/direct method this week.

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Nice looking chicken! [p]I believe those carcinogens are neutralized through the proper application of cold beer. I may be wrong, but it works for me.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas