Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speaking of grids...

Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what do you folks do with 'em when you remove them to light the grill or stir the lump?[p]I lean mine against the bottom of my table, sitting on one of the little Egg feet. It works of course, except the spot it leans against the table is getting awfully black.[p]Thanx,
Jethro

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Jethro,[p]I lean mine against one of the fire bricks near my egg.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Jethro,[p]I set mine on a glass top table...When I am finished I clean the table with Krudd Kutter.
    Larry

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    Jethro,
    i have a hook on my deck rail and hang the grid. i am able to pick it up from the verticle position with the lawn ranger grid lifter.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Jethro, I made a hook with a piece of coathanger that attaches to the "nest." I hang the grid on the hook using the BGE Grid Lifter. It hangs down from the hook without touching anything so it doesn't make any mess.
  • BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Jethro,[p]I have an eye-hook that I have bent open and screwed into the bottom of the gazebo over my grill. I can hang the grill there, hot or cold, and it doesn't touch anything and doesn't make a mess. Kids, dogs, and chefs who have had some liquid imagination enhancer, are not prone to touch it and I merely reach up and grap it when I am ready.[p]Bill T
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Jethro,[p]I had an awful time with this..but I eventually came up with an easy and fun solution. My egg sits on a screened in porch on the front of my house. The floor and the short railing system are made of concrete. I started out just leaning the grill against this, but then it left some god awful spots..which I still have yet to totally get rid of (I might have to resort to whatever it is my wife uses to clean my undergarments...god knows that stuff has gotta pack a serious punch..but I haven't tried this yet..for fear of running low on this miracle substance..and not having enough of it to use for its intended purpose..which to me...could leave me in much worse shape than having a brown spotted front porch to worry bout..most especially if'n I got in one of them there automobile accidents mommas always tellin me about).[p]Then, I started just layin the darn thing right across the top of one of my egg mate shelves..this worked alright for a while...although it did leave brown marks on the wood..but the real problem came when I was out Q'n late one night, just before we was goin to bed...and I was out there wearing only my undergarments..and I leaned against that grill..which unbeknownst to me at the time..left a rather interesting mark...30 minutes later..the wife is forcin me to sit through yet another lesson on the proper way to wear undergarments. I figured I could at least minimize reaccurances of such lessons if I stopped layin that grid across the table top like that.[p]so...I finally decided that this grill..needed a unique place to hang while I was getting the egg ready to cook. I put on my favorite Romper Room thinking cap..and this is what I came up with. I grabbed one of the wife's braziers...ran down to my workshop....and inserted two metal hooks..sticking straight out of the pointiest of areas. Then..next time I wanted to grill...I proudly strapped on this fine new grill rack..and walked..nay..strutted out onto the front porch..lifting the dome of my egg..reaching over with my lawn ranger grill lifter..and gently lifted that grill up into its new place..and I let out a cry of glee..as that grill just hung there..off of my new rack..but...as I turned around..I would see..through the window..a pair of eyes staring back at me..filled with rage..great wonder..and above all else..disgust..and as I stood there...in what should have been one of my most triumphant moments...I realized that there are much worse things than sitting through yet another lesson on the proper way to wear undergarments.[p]Ahh..what can I say..after much discussion..I was finally able to convince her of the necessity of such an item..except for one slight modification...I had to promise to wear a shirt over this new rack of mine..I reluctantly agreed to poke two holes through my prized Eggfest T-shirt..and many nights I can be seen..out on the front porch.leaning over that fine medium egg...stirrin lump with my lawn ranger grill lifter..a dirty grill dangling from my new rack...all the while humming to myself....[p]Ahhh..the life of a Stump...[p]StumpBaby[p]

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Nice rack, Stump!!! That is way tooooooooooo funny for this early in the afternoon! You and/or the Log gonna make down to Hotlanta?[p]Jim
  • Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Jethro,[p]What Qbabe does, is hand me the grill, and says "here, go wash this."
  • Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Jethro,
    I lean it on the Weber. That is what the Weber is for. That and storing Egg accessories.[p]Kip

• StumpBaby
    JSlot,[p]Why, thank you Jim :)[p]I'm doubtful on Hotlanta..but I'm gonna run it by Log and see what he thinks..wouldn't mind a serious road trip.[p]If I can't make it...maybe I'll just send down my StumpBaby mascot.course at Eggfest they threatened to auction it off..which scared the majeebers outta me....[p]we'll see...[p]StumpBaby

• Jethro
    StumpBaby,[p]Well that is a solution I wouldn't have thunked up - but I lost my Romper Room thinking cap long ago.[p]I am not sure if my wife's cup size would be enough to keep the grid from bouncing around on my belly any way.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• grid_hanger.jpg
    <p />Jethro,
    If you have something to attach to, this works. Only problem my dog has found a new favorite place!![p]Smokey Bob[p]

• Jethro
    Well thanks for your replies (your's to Stump). Looks like some sort of hook is the answer.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    StumpBaby,
    Have you ever thought of compiling all of your stories/responses in one location. Maybe the Whiz or someone else will start a Stump Baby page. It would be hilarious.
    Justmy thoughts!
    Hammer

• StumpBaby
    Hammer,[p]Folks ask me from time to time, if'n they can get copies of my stories (most recently I think it was Charcoal Mike..hope I'm remembering that right). I keep all of them filed away on two seperate systems. A while back I had started to look into creating a web site..and posting them..but work got way out of control..and I still haven't found the time to go and get it done. I'm hoping that once winter sets in, I can get back to it..and just finish it up. [p]Question is..is the world really ready for the Stump to go live online ?[p]StumpBaby[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    StumpBaby:[p]In English, the answer would be yes!
    [/b]
  • Stump:[p]I think you need a better moniker if you want to "publish" your excellent stories. Huuuummm. "Mark Twain" is already taken. I'll try to think of something original for you.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    djm5x9,
    And the quicker, the better! Stump's stories often make a dull day enjoyable!
    Hammer

• StumpBaby,
    Stump emailed me a story about a rather delicate procedure that men have done to prevent offspring, if you know what i mean. I almost had to go home and change my shorts I was laughing so hard. I hope this doesn't overwhelm the stump, but you might want to email him and ask him to email that story to you. Classic Stump if I do say so myself. And Stump, if you happen to read this, please email it to me again, i lost it.
    Seth