Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Grill – Testimonial

Options
Pakak
Pakak Posts: 523
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few days ago, someone asked about the relative merits of using an ABT grill. At the time, I didn’t have one but was inspired to purchase one and report back.[p]While I got it just today, I’ve already completed a dozen and have another batch on the grill. Generally, the dozen size would be plenty for my use but people really snagged them to test the goodies tonight.[p]I like the “sno-cone” approach to doing ABTs and this works extremely well for this approach. All the fillings stay nicely inside, even with cheese that melts at a low temp … as long as the cooking temp is around 350 ° or so. Anyway, that’s what the directions said and what seemed to be my experience also.[p]Someone was concerned about the bacon getting hung-up on the holes and coming off. I didn’t have this problem, though I don’t use as much bacon as used in some of the pictures I’ve seen AND I had some large jalapeños which stayed about 2/3's above the holes. I used a third of a strip of bacon across the top, secured by a toothpick. No problemo.[p]I also sprung for the stainless steel. While a bit pricey, it certainly cleans up nicely.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Can you post a pic of the stainless model? Where did you purchase and what was the cost?[p]Jim
  • Pakak
    Options
    Here's a link to the place I bought mine. I thought I origainlly found the link at Naked Whiz's site but don't see it there now. I apologize to whomever I got it from. I'd like to give credit, but don't remember now. Scroll down on the page to see the prices.[p][p]Stainless Chile Grills[/p]
  • Pakak,
    I was the curious one who was asking. I had great success doing them 'the regular way' on the BGE. I took them into work to get opinions and everyone thoroughly enjoyed them. The only different thing I did was to pre-cook some Italian sausage that I had made. I used this as a 'plug' to hold the cheese in. Also, another thing that I discovered in coring them. What works real nice - a dental pick. You can scrape as much or little of the seeds/wall out as you want and you aren't bothered by those skinnier ones that are difficult. Thanks for the opinion on the grill. I'm still in the thinking stage, but leaning your way.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Pakak,[p]What size Egg do you have? I have a medium and was interested to know if the 12 ct. Armadillo grill would fit on it. Mac
  • Pakak
    Options
    I have a large BGE. Yeah, the armadillo is pretty cool, it's the one I got. I just went and measured - it's approximately 11" long by 6" wide (I'd say in height, but it sounded like that's the distance above the grill). You could probably easily get two on a medium.