Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature control

Options
RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What gives you the greatest degree of temp. control?...the bottom vent or the top???
or...do you have to fool around with both.
Bob

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    RLA, you'll get a variety of answers and all are probably right - for me... under 350 I use both, 350 to 550 I use the bottom and over 550 I don't use either. Good luck!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Gfw,
    Real good answer!!!
    JimW

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    RLA,[p]I don't use the top at all unless I want to keep the dome temp below about 260. Otherwise I control the fire with the bottom vent alone; this works fine as long as the fire starts small.[p]Cathy
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    RLA,[p]This is liable to start a BGE Holy War as you'll incite answers from everyone and everyone does it differently and all of the different ways work.[p]Personally I use the bottom vent 100%. Once the fire is ready to start being regulated, about 50 degrees lower than the target temp, 100 for those pizzas and other high heat dishes, I close the bottom vent to where I think it needs to be (this comes with practice) and put a firebrick about 3/4 of the way across the top vent. I could leave this off but I "think" it helps keep in more smoke (just retentive I think but I have to justify it to myself somehow). I then do small adjustments on the bottom vent to get the desired temp keeping in mind that it is MUCH EASIER to regulate a fire on teh way up than trying to cool one back down.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RLA,
    All the previous answer work well. You have many options. Under 400 I use the slide/daisy. [p]One of the biggest things I have noticed, no matter how you control your temps, opening the egg makes the fire hotter. The more you open it, the more you have to step your vent settings down. A fire can get too hot very quickly from opening (giving the fire fresh oxygen) and it is tough to get back down to previous temps. As Cat mentioned long ago, close your bottom vent if you open the egg. Also pays to do your business (flipping, saucing) quickly to minimize open-time. [p]Q on
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I've always fully opened the bottom vent prior to opening to prevent the ubiquitous "WHOOOOOOSH!!!" or backdraft or flash. I may sacrifice temp control, but I still have my eyebrows. [p]FWIW[p]B~F

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Sorry. Forgot to mention that! I was talking more on the lines of up to 400 degrees, when you need good control to keep a steady temp. Opening the lid really changes things, and airflow needs to be reduced a bit after letting in all that fresh oxygen. Closing the bottom vent while your egg is open will help a bit. [p]High temp searing is a different scenario!
    Thanks for pointing that out.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'm just happy to be here![p]B~F

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    RLA,[p]I use both vents for everything but pizza. I have no reason other than I am used to it and it works for me.[p]For pizza I use the top vent only for temp control.[p]Spin

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    RLA, I use a "modified Cat theory". I have become quite good at leaving the bottom vent fully open and use the daisy/slide top to control the temp from the high 200's and above. Lower temps require juggling both. Of course,,, I have recieved several compliments when I went completely topless..:)