Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Idea

Options
jb1020
jb1020 Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So Ive been contemplating building a table for my Large BGE. I have been a little intimidated by task. I don't consider myself a carpenter by any stretch of the imagination. Ive read thru hundereds of posts on table making and was just abot to bite the bullett. I was at Lowes earlier just browsing. I came across this
719839661732.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=288966-59890-B24L.BDR.UF&lpage=none

the question...would this oak cabinet be fine outdoors once I stain it?

I know I can build the part the egg will sit on, then can I just attach it to this cabinet? of course I'll still have to complete the table top myself.

But it just looks too easy to buy this, attach the other half, slap a top and a bottle opener on it and be done.

What are you thoughts?

Comments

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    Unfortunately, that looks like it is supposed to be an interior cabinet for a bathroom or kitchen (couldn't tell from the link). The glues used on that wouldn't be waterproof, and it would start to come apart at the seams pretty quickly. Also, it says that it is a hardwood face frame, which implies that the interior of the case is probably plywood (if you're lucky), MDF, or some other type of sheet 'wood' covered in veneer. Those products, if not exterior rated, will delaminate quickly, leaving you with a mess.

Sorry,

-John
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    A dry place out of the weather it should be ok.Otherwise if exposed to the elements or gets wet the particle board will buckle or lump up.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Both suggstions so far are right on, but you also need to provide for ventilation or the heat will certainly warp and possibly burn the entire cabinet.

Personally, I would not use it for an Egg table.

Spring "Ideas Are Not Always Solutions" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • jb1020
    jb1020 Posts: 41
    Options
    yeah, i kinda figured it wouldnt work, just looked like an easy way out.
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    Here is an idea.

Find a set of plans for the egg that you like.

Talk with the shop teacher at the local high school.

Then you have too options.

1. have the kids make it for you as a project.
    2. assist the shop teacher for a pre-determined number of boston butt and/or steak cook outs with the shop teacher as the guest of honor.
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    I agree with the prior posts as well.

I would make a suggestion if you are about to embark on a table. Plan for adequate prep space. If you have the space for a larger table, make it larger. I just replaced my original standard size table with one that has 17" more prep space and I absolutely can notice the difference. Just a suggestion.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    But don't "build a boat in the basement" like I did.
    My plan was to store my table on my screened in porch and roll it out for cooks. During the planning stage it kept getting longer.

Just outside the door to the porch I have a little boulder fountain with plants and such. My grand final design won't turn the corner coming out the door. I have to basically stand in the fountain to get the egg out. Also the travertine inserts are so heavy the thing is hard to move anyway.

Result: A fan blowing the smoke out thru the screen while I decide between some kind of cook shed/outdoor kitchen or hood and exhaust for the porch.

Gonna cost more than the egg and table did, but it does give me something else to build. Besides I do like how the table turned out.
  • Unojo
    Unojo Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm not a carpenter by any stretch either, but I decided to give it a try. Prior to that I went through several thought processes that included buying these shelves from Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100095394&N=500474+2124+90016&marketID=16&locStoreNum=6571

And replacing the pressboard with plywood/tile and closing it in. It's actually two 36" tall shelf units stacked on top of each other. This would work, but the tools I was allowed to buy to build the table will help with other projects! ;)

Almost still done with the table too!

We're using it to cook on now, but to finish it it needs two more drawers, the siding and top and we're done.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Sounds like a good excuse to add on to the screened porch area to include an outdoor kitchen. :laugh: