Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Pork Leg

Willie
Willie Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have half piece of pork leg ( 10 lbs )and will cook on a raised grid indirect at about 300 degrees, does that sound about right ? I am not going to shred this just slice it ? Thanks in advance.
Bon Appetit
Willie :)

Comments

• Sounds good, or a little cooler. You planning on taking it off at 185 internal for slicing?

Doug
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    OK not trying to beat you up but need to know is this a front leg or back leg. At 10lbs for half it is a good assumption it is a rear leg. Big difference in how and what to expect. Front leg is picnic back leg is ham or sometimes round bone roast.
    Rear leg is more like the spiral ham you would buy only uncured.
    If rear leg is it a butt piece or shank piece. Need to know because one slices a little different. There is a hip bone in the butt piece.
    All in all if a rear leg cooking to 165 can do fine and slice thin for pork pieces.
    Place on apples and onions or make a gravy and do a pork manhattan with Mashed potato.
    E
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Wow, what a lot of information, I have a but piece to cook. I did buy the whole leg, but had the butcher cut it in half for us. I will dress it up with garlic slivers, and salt and ground peppercorns.Will pull at your recomended temp. for sclicing.Thanks to all for your help.
    Bon Appetit
    Willie :)