Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger needs help making grill marks!

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We got our BGE a month ago & love it. However, my wife complains the steaks and chicken don't have nice grill marks like our gas grill makes. Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Mark,[p]You want to get the egg up to 700 degrees or so and then sear your steaks on both sides for a minute then shut down the egg for a couple minutes. I saw that method in the video that came with my egg and it works great.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Mark,[p]Grill marks come from a hot grilling surface. I cooked filets last night that had GREAT grill marks. One of the keys was searing the steaks at 800+ degrees for about a minute and a half per side before closing all of the vents and letting the steaks cook for annbother fivr minutes. For chicken, I cook at about 375 and get good marks. Sorry I dont have any pictures to post.[p]Smokey

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Mark,
    Is your wife named Sue by any chance? My wife complained of the same thing. So, I heated up the grill, made some marks on the chicken and asked if that made it taste better.
    If the food tastes good, you're doing it right. Enjoy.
    Oh...just a hint...the next complaint will be everything tastes smokey.

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Mark,
    Steven Raichlen says the secret to good grill marks is "Keep it hot, keep it clean, & keep it lubricated." He is refering to the grill grate. When I am doing steaks, I get the egg up to 700-800 and then rub some trimmed beef fat on the grate. (Watch out for flare ups!) This gives me nice grill marks. Also, rotate your meat 1/4 turn on each side to get that fancy cross hatch.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    If the food tastes good, why should grill marks matter?

• Mark,
    As most have said, high heat, but.... I've been able to get grill marks on 400-500 degrees. I spray a little PAM on the meat before putting it on. It burns off/drips off, doesn't leave an aftertaste, and will get you closer to your marks.
    Also to the posters regarding if the food tastes good then what does it matter? I think grill marks makes the food look better, plus it adds a WOW factor to your results. BTW I light my cooker with a blow tourch, not because it's easier (starter cubes are the easiest), I use a tourch because it cooler (again speaks to my WOW factor).[p][p]

• Danny C
    Danny C Posts: 16
    Options
    Ribmonster,
    And here I am thinking that I was the only one to try using a torch to get a quick fire!! :-) I did it when I was out of cubes and the electric starter (piece of (your choice of explatives)) dind't work. I got a quick fire going and it worked great.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Mark,
    No, you're not doing anything wrong. If your wife really wants serious grill marks, oil the meat before putting it on a 700+ degree fire. Put a bacon press on the meat and leave on the grill for about two minutes. Flip and repeat. You'll have perfect marks everytime... Mac