Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First burn

Egmont Key
Egmont Key Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finished Table and assembled LBGE yesterday. Started a practice fire this morning. I gather that temp control is the ticket. After 1 hour I had it stabilized I thought. Temp too low fire went out after about 2 hours. :( Moved charcoal around and got a better start. After about 4 hours now she's huffing and puffing along about 230. Not bad for first practice :silly: I know when I get some meat on this thing I'm gonna have to lock the doors and the gate, whoops I don't have a gate. :whistle: Pics soon.

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Welcome aboard! You will love it.

I have only had mine for 11 months, although I got a Medium in Dec to complement my Large.

You are wise to come here to seek advice. As others will tell you it is easier to go up in temp then down. (However, since you had a fire go out maybe you took that too far.) When I first started playing with it I found it easy to adjust both up and down. I still find that true for the first 45 minutes of the fire. However, once it has burned for a while and the temp gets too high it is hard to get back down. I've also found that initially I can stabilize the fire and it will stay exactly at that temp for another hour without any adjustments. However, it then starts to sneak up. Now, about 1.5 hours into the cook I tweak the vents a little more closed even if it is still holding steady.

Anyway, that was my learning curve as a newbie. Trust the experienced ones on here more than me. Also, never hesitate to ask questions. They are always welcome.

Freddie
    League City, Tx
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    While you are testing do yourself a favor, cook something, even if it is hot dogs.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

You egg is stabilized when you stop fiddling around with the vents and it holds temperature.

If you haven't done so, calibrate your thermometer!!!

It is very common to reach a temperature which is too high. When trying to cool the egg down the user doesn't seem much progress and closes the vents more and more. Eventually snuffing the lump out. The ceramics hold temperature very well.

Use the lower vent for your course temperature and the DFMT for fine temperature adjustment.

There are many settings one can use to get to any given temperature.

On my large I have found that having the screen closed and slider on the bottom vent open 1/8" to 1/4" and the DFMT slider closed petals open 1/4 to 1/3 will stabilize the large to 250° (calibrated dome thermometer).

Here is a setting I use for 450°
    eggsettings455.jpg

Good cooking

GG
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    That's one heck of a good idea to remember what settings give a certain temp. I'm going to try that before the CRS has completely set in. Now that I have two eggs I have to think about what combo gives what temp.

--Dave
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    I marked the lower door where it sets with a magic marker. Hope it stays on the stainless.
    Grandpa I did sear some burgers for dinner.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Good for you, let us know how you liked them... and take some pictures.

I am not sure if I would mark up my egg. It won't take long before you learn the settings for your egg.

Your post got me inspired (got me off my butt) to finish this project I was working on.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=670088&catid=1

GG