Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib, Mustard Or Not , That Is The Question??

Options
GumbyQ
GumbyQ Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I have seen a post about coating a Prime Rib with mustard but I can't seem to find it anyplace. Can any one recall it & drop me a line please, or maybe a mustard & kosher salt incrusting procedure, either one would be fantastic. Thanks To All In Advance.
GumbyQ.

Comments

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    GumbyQ,[p]I've only done prime rib once on the Egg and I did not use mustard. The results were excellent.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    337%3C884%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2329%3D827%3D97%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3B272994%3Aot1lsi
    <p />GumbyQ,[p]I've done 2 prime ribs on the Egg, one with mustard and one without. Both were excellent, and the difference was subtle - the mustard adds just the slightest tang (I use porter mustard) to the crust that I really enjoy.[p]Good luck![p]TRex
  • TRex,
    Who is JF?

• Dear TRex: [p]Is that is your brand on the prime rib? And if so, where did you get such a contraption? Also JK, didn't you mean your prime rib was "egg"cellent?
  • Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    TRex,[p]That looks a bit like my father's registered brand, he is a rancher. Actually he has sold the place and I have a one of his branding irons in my fireplace for decoration. Perhaps I should heat one up and brand a lump of mat, then have him around for dinner :)[p]I had a prime rib roast years ago and it really stuck in my mind as one of the better roasts. When you carve one do you cut the meat off the bone in one hunk and then slice, or do you have the butcher run the band saw between the ribs and then simply cut off a rib per person (a bit like a T-bone steak)? I.e., cut down between each rib.[p]Regards,
    Hugh.

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,
    I recently smoked a 17 pound, indirect. At 225, it took only 3.5 hours. References said that the bone-in takes longer.[p]At an internal temp of 130, I took it off & wrapped it in 905 film (like seran wrap). Over the next 2 hours waiting for the guests to arrive, the internal temp increased to 140.[p]I sliced it with my Wustoff, manual knife. It was medium rare at 140.[p]My wife made Au Juice.[p]It was perfect. The bone-in is a lot of the weight but I prefer bone-in on all products I cook.[p]I applied a rub & misted it with olive oil & apple juice every 30 minutes. Here in the midwest, we used to use vinegar but contestants changed to the sweater taste.[p]Just judged my 25 contest today. Hot at a heat index of 116.[p][p]

• Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    Nessmuk,[p]OK, thank you for the details. 17lb sounds a big chunk of meat. Obviouly you had no problems fitting it in the egg?[p]I think I'll have a go at using your method as I do like prime rib roasts. And 3-4 hours will send the neighbours balmy. He he.[p]8am here, off to do some exercises then race back and fire up the egg for a topside roast. Have some apple wood chips soaking in some red wine. Going to throw half an onion on the coals for that lovely onion smell. Roast veggies separately in the oven.[p]Regards,
    Hugh.

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,
    The prime rib roast was 18 inches long. It fit.[p]

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    TommyK,[p]I think you can order these from Williams & Sonoma. My wife gave it to me as a B'Day present.[p]TRex