Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice about wok set-up, please?

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would someone post the basic set-up for using a wok? I have a Large Egg, have wok, adjustable rig, spider, but don't know the best set-up. Should the wok be as close to the coals as possible? Or using the accessories have it further away? And anything else I need to know for wokking.

Thanks for any help.

Judy
San Diego, CA
Never rains in the summer, 70s, blue skies
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Judy I'll do it both ways but it is easier to handle with the spider inverted.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Before you light your fire, put your spider in the egg and then your wok. If you would rather have the wok higher in the egg, flip your spider. That's how I like to use mine. Believe me, it will get plenty hot and it's easier to access the wok when it's up a little higher. My 2 cents. Mark
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    either way works but I'd go inverted the first couple times so you get the hang of it since inverted means less intense heat. Also learn to get your temp about where you want it and then during the wok cooking keep your bottom vent closed. It will still get plenty of air, but won't turn into a towering inferno since you wok with the dome open. Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    RRP wrote:
    Also learn to get your temp about where you want it and then during the wok cooking keep your bottom vent closed.

Just wondering what temps you use. I haven't used my wok yet and looking for temp suggestions.

--Dave
  • Judy Mayberry
    What about temperatures? Or doesn't that matter? Do I put the wok in on the inverted spider and close the dome till the temp climbs?
    To what temp?
    Is the wok oiled, or do I spill some in when it's ready to cook?

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    325 to 350 works for me though I have done some really quick and simple meals at 400 but I like the lower temp. Your wok really can get HOT in the BGE.
  • RRP
    personally I just put the spider in and then bring my temp up the normal way to about 50° below my desired temp and then place the un-oiled wok in and bring it on up with the dome still closed. Be sure to have all your food ready and nearby. Then I open the dome, close off the bottom vent and pour oil carefully around the walls of the hot wok. A drop of water in the wok will let you know the oil is ready and it is almost instantly anyway. Then have it! PS since my wife isn't much of a stir fry food fan I normally just cook for myself so I hum the tune "I wok Alone". :P
  • Judy Mayberry
    Thanks for the great laugh!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Thanks for the great laugh!
    Judy in San Diego
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC07919a.jpg

I put mine low, but I build a modest fire knowing that I'll have the lid open a lot. Then I use the lower vent for all the heat control. I cook a lot with my wok, In fact I'm planning an all veggie stir fry tonight. Until you get the hang of temp control and cook times, use peanut oil then work your way down to lighter oils if you feel the need.

DSC07935a.jpg

DSC08056a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Wayne, any reason not to use the spider inverted?

Kent
  • thirdeye
    You sure can, you just need more coals, as in higher coals. When it's low it's easier to get up to temp, and pretty easy to control.

DSC08081a.jpg

Sometimes you don't actually need to stir fry with oil, I started this meal off with water and steam fried these white corn rounds, then just added other veggies and water when needed. It's a lot healthier. I did put some oil in later on with the soy and seasonings, but I used very little. Just enough to anchor the seasonings.

DSC08089a.jpg

DSC08094a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Found out years ago that peanut oil is preferred by many oriental cooks. Takes a higher temperature without burning and does not keep a flavor.
    After the cook you can strain thru a cheese cloth and place in refrigerator for future use. Next time just add some more peanut oil and it will recycle many times.
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    wow thirdeye that wok has seen some seasoning!

nice looking cooks!
  • thirdeye
    Yeah, with the Egg, I can use it during all 4 seasons. Hehee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    depends what your doing, i see alot here cooking shrimp with butter sauces etc. lower heat will work. when im using the wok i like high heat and cook dome open only, what has worked for me is to bring the egg up to 6 or 7 hundred degrees, open the dome and shut the lower vent all the way and wait til the fire subsides. now i cook quickly, no time to be shutting the dome and contrary to everyone here, i like a wok with a long handle to make things easier and quicker to get it off the heat if needed. wok and spider, no rig
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it