Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Skinless Thighs - Indirect or Direct?

Options
CaptainJimmy
CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have about 8 boneless skineless thighs (my favorite) marinating in an asian sweet marinade that I just concocted (i'll post the pics and recipe later if the outcome is good).

The marinade is honey based. Should I platesetter indirect grill these buggers because the marinade has so much sugar (dont wanna char too much) or should I cook direct so I can get SOME char.

i'm kind of at an impasse i guess. I suppose I could start them indirect and then put on some welding gloves of somesort and pull the platesetter out the last 10 minutes. Any ideas?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Personally I like them direct, but on a raised grate. Also will you be hitting them with any smoke? If so then there is no obstruction and you get better coverage IMO.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    As RRP said, "Raised grate and direct."
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i like char, these look burnt to a crisp, but they were extremely juicy ;)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=393162&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    yeah ill probably throw some apple or pecan chips in for a little flavor. I have an extender rack, i'll try that - i usually don't use it because its such a pain to use.
  • RRP
    Options
    why do you say it's a pain? Is it a BGE one that all you do is spring the legs tight? OTOH two firebrick standing on edge and then with an auxiliary grate on top works just as well.
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    why do you say it's a pain? Is it a BGE one that all you do is spring the legs tight? OTOH two firebrick standing on edge and then with an auxiliary grate on top works just as well.

yeah its a BGE grill extender. I find it kind of flimsy and annoying.
  • RRP
    Options
    flimsy? Then you must not be stretching the legs tight enough like this. Mine is extremely sturdy!
    IMG_1451.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You could also just go regular direct about 400ish. Skin should get good and crispy if not charred. Raised direct is great, but nothing wrong with using the egg the way it was originally designed. Many a bird thigh have come out perfect that way.
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    flimsy? Then you must not be stretching the legs tight enough like this. Mine is extremely sturdy!

mine is the same as yours, however for some reason my grill extender is only stable at the 'last' set of crossbars, where yours are 2-3 rows in.

It gives me MAYBE 3" of clearance...just barely enough for corn, etc. Something must be funky with mine. perhaps the dealer sold me one for an XL and i have a L.

Here's a pic of me using it tonight... it's pretty crappy and i'm less than enthusiastic about the $25 i blew on it. Not the best pic I know. I need a better angle.
    img1057j.jpg

that being said my chicken tonight was AWESOME. I'll post pics/recipe in another thread.