Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size shoud I get?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Folks[p] I have been investigating the BGE for the past few months. I am wondering what would be a good size for someone getting into this? I am a bachelor but I do cook for many of my friends and dates. I also live in an apartment setting so those really cool tables that are sold and many of you have built are out of the question.[p]So folks I am asking, what size do you all suggest? [p]Thanks for taking the time out to help a newbie.[p]Mark B.

Comments

• willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Mark Howard,
    I've never heard anyone who had an egg wish they'd gotten the next smaller size...but I've heard plenty say the opposite. I usually only cook for 2, but I opted for the large...thus I can cook more and share...which makes me quite popular with those I share with.[p]

• Mark Howard,
    The PRO's are out competing, so I'll add my 2 cents. I'd go for the large too, simply because it will give you more options. Currently, my favorite Q is a brisket. You won't fit a packer cut on a smaller unit. Or a whole salmon filet. Or.... well, you get the picture. The smalls, IMHO are great for those who just can't handle the size of a large, never cook larger products, or want a 2nd egg. That being said, a small would be great for a chicken, steaks, burgers, turkey breast etc. Whichever you choose, you'll marvel at the results... I did.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />Mark Howard,[p]
    My vote is also for the large (assuming funds are available). I have two larges, a mini and a small that I just picked up today. They all are great cookers but if I could only have one it would be a large. There will be times that you will use all the space on a large even for a small amount of people like for pizza, wings, quesadillas etc and times that you will fill it up for a party. Next weekend I am going to cook pulled pork for 100 on my two larges, while that may be a rarity it is nice to be able to do the big cooks. Good luck with your decision.[p]Chuck

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Mark Howard,[p]I had a medium for quite a while (before getting married and having a child). The medium can do it all, just lacks space.[p]Smokey
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    I now have a large and a mini!

• maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Mark Howard,
    We bought the large and are quite happy we did. Especially when making butts or lots of ABT's etc.

• Julio
    Julio Posts: 20
    Mark Howard, Definetly the large dude!

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Chuck,[p]Large.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Mark Howard, before you buy anything, check out your apartment rules carefully. Many apartments will not allow grilling of any sort with "x" feet of the building. If this is the case, you might opt for a small since it is "carryable". If you live on a ground floor with access, you might be able to roll a large out to an appropriate spot but trying to pick up a large and move it is not easy. From a cooking perspective, go with the large. However, other factors may mitigate.