Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Better way to smoke with the BGE

under aged rib smoking
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok as we all know using the big green egg to smoke meats is a bit hard. The wood chips are hard to put in and they put out any charcoal that they touch.

Problem solved!!!!
Put some hot coals down in the ash catcher and push them to the back. Now put the wood chips in the front of it. They will smoke for a LONG time. and they don't effect the main temp of the egg. you just have to remove to used chips when you are putting in new ones or it will become to packed and air flow will be cut off.

This only works if the bottom vent is open about an inch or more.

Unbentcrayfish- out

(wet wood chips people wet ones)

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Actually we don't know smoking with the BGE is hard. Unless you call 20-30 hour smokes without having to add lump or wood chunks, or rock steady temps hard.

A simple search of the forum would have told you that if you disperse wood CHUNKS throughout your load of lump in the firebox you wouldn't have to keep adding wood chips.

Also you would have read that wood provides smoke till it's completely ash. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Also all Wet Wood chips do it produce STEAM. Not needed in the BGE.

Thank you for your trick though!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Hard to smoke on? Who is this silly one?

Pete,
    Bet your tongue is bleeding from holding back how you really feal :laugh:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Yes,

You do it however you want...I will do it easy like Pete said.... :P :woohoo: :P
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Ditto :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ripnem
    I bet if you put them all end to end. I could walk them like a balance beam to Eggtoberfest. :laugh:

So listen up if your for real. B)
  • true but wet chips smoke longer and the steam keeps the meat moister.
    thanx for the tips
  • Celtic Wolf
    Lets see lump burns at 1200 plus degrees, water turns to steam at 400+ degrees and boils off at 212 degs. providing you are at sea level. By the time you get the meat into the Egg that steam is long gone.

If you think that lump is at 250 degrees lay a piece of paper on that lump and see how quickly it ignites. Paper ignites at 451 Degs F. (remember the book).

The EGG keeps the meat moister..

Soaking wood chips is a gasser trick that is not needed in the Egg.
  • Ripnem
    It's a smoker not a steamer. Your getting advice from people with thousands of pounds of Eggsperience. I'm guessing you may be the 17 year old from last night. Keep 1 handle and then you won't be so confusing to communicate with.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Pete you gotta be quiet. I have the wife convinced this is hard work :P Glad she doesn't read the forum :whistle: Well back to a day of hard labor smoking the ribs. I might even have to lift the lid once just to peek :ohmy:
  • well there is one way.... joking :lol:
  • Celtic Wolf
    You better answer your phone that is about to ring....

Back to kitchen destruction...
  • ummm im 15 and I just joined! I had no clue what the handle was at first sorry.
    :huh:
    I love to smoke ribs!- well who doesn't...
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    this kinder and gentler Pete is really something...... :kiss:
    almost scary... :silly:
  • Celtic Wolf
    and skinnier..
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    First hi! and welcome if you are a new egger and really want to learn about the big green Egg or have one. this is a great group and you will get tons of info here. we all have to start someplace and kudos to you if you are interested in cooking and grilling at 15. both my boys liked to cook and I thought one was going to do something with it but did not. oh well. But sometimes we do jump on people that come in and try to stir things up and cause trouble. stick around ask questions and share ideas. Be respectful and polite. and not because you are 15 and we are older but because this group is just like that, well most of the time LOL welcome, Julie
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Interesting technique, but I don't see the need for it. It's not hard to smoke meats on ceramic cookers, you don't need to add wood chips, chunks or charcoal during a cook, and I've not had any problem with wood chunks or chips snuffing the fire. Really, yours is the first post I've read from someone who claims to have some experience on the Egg who has had trouble smoking meats.
    The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Doug,
    If you read through the thread you'll see he's a 15 year old kid and has already changed his handle.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • well it wasn't a problem for me, its just easier for me to do.

I had no problems with smoking ribs- my idea makes it easier for me!
  • errrrrrrrrrg.....

i know i know i didn't know what a handle was at the time......
  • Ripnem
    You need to understand that some of these guys have been smoking on the Egg before you were a thought. :huh:
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Give him a few weeks he'll be back to his ol' self ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ????

hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    but you assert stuff that isn;'t true... no offense. but your method might make it easier for you, but no one here is having trouble with the fire going out when they add wood, or has difficulty adding wood during a cook, etc.

it's like someone saying they have a better method for slowing their car. open the door and put your left foot on the ground flintstone style, while you also brake with your right foot. sure. it's a different way of slowing the car, but anyone able to do it the correct way doesn't really need to adopt the new method anyway....
  • stike
    that is seriously flawed understanding of how sh!t works. good luck to you.

i love new ides, but i generally think they need to be based on a sound understanding of principle first.

i'll just pick one point, to prove the inanity.

that moist chips keep food moist. please explain how it is that you can boil a chicken breast submerged in water to the point where it is dry inside, yet it has been kept plunged in water for the entirety of the cook? i'll submit that the only thing that ever dries out cooked food is being overcooked.

a moist environment does not keep food moist. it cooks it more quickly. that is it. braising does not keep food moist. it is possible to overcook (to the point of dryness) even when braising

wet chips in an egg are far different than wet chips on a leaky, not-airtight grill.
  • stike
    ok. so lsow down before telling all these folks they don't know waht they are talking about.

he who walks into a room and starts shouting better know what he's shouting.
    hahaha
    welcome. but please, take it easy on us. we are not nearly as wise about the egg as you may already be