Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! Need Thirdeyes technique on starting fire

Options
Eggerman1
Eggerman1 Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I saw a post from thirdeye and carwash mike about how when the do a low and slow 225 fire they start the fire and then set the vents immediately and put the place setter and grate on and it make take a little longer to get to the right temperature but it is more sustainable.

Anyone else heard of this method or can help with steps?

Doing a brisket tomorrow morning and wondering what time I should start grill for a 7PM eat time for a 4lb flat brisket, any helpful advice or experience as this is my first brisket and I rubbed with DD and mustard overnight will post pictures tomorrow regardless of failure or not.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    All you need do is fill the firebox up to the level of the fire ring. Make sure the chucks are a decent size. Fill in with the smaller chunks.

Light the top of the mass in two of three places. Everything that is not food should be in the egg as it heats up. As the temp starts to approach 250 degs Dome start shutting down the vents. Let it stablize at 250 degs, Smoke will be clear

Put the brisket in, close the lid and walk away. DO NOT touch the vents.

As for time.. Personally I would have ground up a little brisket like that for burgers, but it will be 1-2 hours per pound depending on how muych fat is on that little piece of meat. If it lacks fat get yourself some bacon and cover it.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :ohmy: B) :P Good point! :whistle: :evil:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i think that's how everyone does it, no? :ermm:

you essentially laid out the steps, too. no more to add, really.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Options
    I was told that you start up the fire and with nothing in the egg, get the temperature about 75 degrees above the temp you want then put everything on, this doesn't seem to be a consistent way to get the temp on.

Thanks for the help, I am steady at 225 and we are on our brisket journey, pics to come.