Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Steak - London Broil

Ga eggerGa egger Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for any foolproof steak recipes. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hi Ga egger,

Welcome to the forum. Can you give some details. How thick is steak, do you have a good instant read thermometer, I assume you have a BGE, how well do you like it done? That sort of thing. Thanks, it will make it easier for someone to help you.

Gator
  • Ga eggerGa egger Posts: 15
    I have a large BGE and the steak is about an inch thick. We like it med rare. Yes, I have an instant thermometer. Thanks a bunch!
  • PancakesPancakes Posts: 45
    Last couple of LB's I have done turned out great. I marinate in a little soy sauce, teriyaki, dash or two of worcesteshire and oil. Add in some crushed garlic, green onions, and I think the key is Ginger. Powdered or fresh. Let it sit in that for at least a day, maybe two. Bring to room temp prior to cooking

The cook was the basic T REX method found on the naked whiz's website. Temp up as hot as possible. 700 works. Sear for 90 seconds a side. Remove from grill and set inside. Close down the vents until the temp hits 400. Burp the grill by slightly opening the lid a few times. Put the broil back on the grill for about 3 mins a side. Pull at 140-145. Let it rest ten minutes then slice against the grain. Enjoy.
    Hope this pic works, this is my first post, used the recipe and temps I posted above for this jewel.

[img size=150]Iphone118-1.jpg
    That wasn't it, trying again
    Iphone118-1.jpg
    Thanks alot for the info. I am still new but LOVE my BGE.
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hey Ga egger,

Glad Pancakes had some ideas for you, I got side tracked and am just getting back to my computer.

I do steaks differently from most, I have not mastered the TRex method yet (I'm new at this too). Every time I try it I loose a lot of juice from the steak when I wait for the grill to cool down. I suspect that I do not sear at a high enough temp.

For a steak like your London Broil (I love London Broil) I will heat the egg to about 500° and let it develop a nice bed of coals. I like to sprinkle my steaks with fresh ground pepper and a little garlic salt just before cooking. With the grid set low, down on the fire ring, I give the steak 2 minutes to a side (I use a small timer). The next time I turn it I rotate it to not only give it nice grill marks but to cook it evenly so one end is not done more or less then the other. I then give it about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes to a side depending on how thick the steak is. I pull the steak and check the internal temp, if right around 125° I cover with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. This will give me medium-rare and nice red juices.
    For a 2" or thicker steak I will go with the TRex method and try searing at a super high temp. Most of my steaks are closer to 1" to 1 1/2" and so far my method has been working for me.
    Pancakes recipe looks good, I may have to give it a try.

Be sure to search the forum for London Broil and check out the recipe sections.

Good luck,

Gator
  • Most often...I do as Gator Bait does, but do use a marinade.

LONDON BROIL
    North Portage Smoke-Shack
    From JB

5 large garlic cloves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon honey
    1 1/2 to 2 lbs. top-round (London Broil) steak

1)) Mince the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt, then blend with the remaining salt, red wine, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and honey.
    2)) In a heavy-duty sealable (ZipLock) plastic bag, combine steak with marinade. Seal bag, pressing out excess air, and put in a shallow baking dish. Marinate steak, chilled, turning occasionally, at least 4 hours and up to 24.

3)) Bring steak to room temperature before grilling. Remove steak from marinade, letting excess drip off.

Method / Approach

Keep in mind that cook times are basically nothing more than guide lines and that temping. is the best way to achieve your level of doneness...145 / med. rare and up to 160 for med. well.
    Also remember that the meat does continue to "cook" when tented and resting!

(Method A) Grill on a grid set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals (about 500 F. dome temp.) for about 7 minutes on each side for medium-rare.

(Method B) Sear (very hot)on both sides, remove and cool down the Egg to 350 F. Roast on a raised grid to your required doneness.

4)) Transfer steak to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Holding a knife at a 45-degree angle, cut steak across grain into thin slices.

Serving suggestion: Serve with a baked potato topped with sour cream and chives. Garnish the dish with fresh sliced tomatoes and fresh parsely along side.
    Thanks so much for the good info. I will let you know how it turns out.