Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops

PCO3
PCO3 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife insisted on making pork chops this weekend on the Egg. Can anyone forward me some ideas on cooking instructions and ideas on their favorite Eggperience with chops on the Egg? As always, thanks in advance

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    PCO3,[p]Get nice thick, about 1.5" bone in chops. Apply your favorite rub. Cook direct for about 4 minutes each side, then let dwell for 10 minutes.[p]That is how I do mine and I am very happy with the results.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Jethro,
    Make sure the temp at least 500 or more. This is a favorite of mine. Try Hickory Molassess Char Crust.[p]RhumAndJerk

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I marinade them for a few hours, or overnight. Use your favorite store bought marinade, or make your own. Cook them like a steak (sear over high temp for a couple of minutes oer side, then let them dwell. I let pork chops dwell a lot longer than steaks because I like them cooked all the way through - rare pork doesn't sound very good to me).[p]I like to buy a pork loin roast and cut my own chops. It's much cheaper that way, and you can cut them as thick as you want to.
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Yeah, I must say that most of the time I am closer to 700 than 500. With the bottom vent open and the cap off, 500 is just a passing number. At least until you start to run out of lump.[p]Jethro
  • bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    PCO3,
    Marinate overnight in Stubb's pork marinade. Dry off and apply a heavy coating of dizzy dust reg. grind. Cook as described below. Delicious!

• PCO3
    BluesnBBQ,
    Thanks for the tips. Sounds great!

• PCO3
    RhumAndJerk,
    This sounds awesome also! Thanks.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    PCO3,[p]I do them like I do steaks - salt, pepper, then sear, rest, then cook until 145 interal.[p]TRex
  • TRex,[p]Is the current consensus that pork is OK at 145F instead of previous guideline of 160F?
  • TRex
    paul,[p]Yes, from trusted butchers. I cook all my pork now to 145 internal (except pulled pork obviously).

• TRex,[p]Isn't the risk in eating undrcooked pork from trichonosis? Would a butcher even be able to detect this parasite in pork?[p]I read some reports that the incidence of trichonosis is very small (about 38 cases per year with most cases being attributed to wild game), so there may be very little risk in pork today. Unfortunately, our goverment is much more willing to warn us of possible dangers than inform us the liklihood of encountering such dangers is miniscule.[p]Does anyone know what the liklihood is of commercial pork being infected with trichonosis?
  • TRex
    paulH,[p]This discussion skimmed the forum a few months ago - I think somebody had that statistic - it was extremely low - like tenths of a percent I believe.[p]TRex