Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

help with bone in turkey breast

WhackJobWhackJob Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was planning on doing a turkey breast tomorrow and am looking for advice. My plan is 250 indirect using apple. Poultry rub from Rudy's. Any comment on the temp? And how much time per pound? Any and all advice welcomed!

Comments

• PancakesPancakes Posts: 45
    Whackjob, I have done two small turkey breasts (under 4.5 lbs) at 350 indirect. Estimate about 12-15 minutes a pound. Go easy with the smoke, poultry sucks it up really well. Pulled it at 160 breast temp. I didn't baste mine with anything and used the leftovers for turkey sandwiches.
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,778
    brn009.jpg
    (3 turkey breasts about half way through the cook)

I do turkey breasts just like I would do them in the oven. I roast them at 325 degrees indirect or direct on a raised grid. Add a little smoke but not much. I usually use a basic rub like Montreal Steak or Dizzy Pig Raisin' The Steaks rub. Sometimes, for a middle eastern touch, I like Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin.

It's too late now, but for crispy skin, leave the breast in the refrigerator uncovered for 48 hours to let the skin dry. Crisp skin is all about getting the water out of the skin. Oiling the skin helps get the heat into the skin better which of course makes for crispy skin also.

brn005.jpg
    (A turkey breast after 48 hours in the refrigerator.)

If you are interested, here is a link to my article on brining which talks about brining turkey breasts as well as drying the skin:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/brining/brining.htm

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,242
    I cook em per the package instruction, 325-350 grid temp. Use cherry for color. Grid is raised with interchange between direct and indirect depending on how the breast is coming along.

boonesfarm031.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
  • WhackJobWhackJob Posts: 46
    Thanks everyone. Man if mine turns out half as good as all of these look, I'm winnin!
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 14,129
    Tom what would make you "depending on how the breast is coming along"do direct or indirect?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• tjvtjv Posts: 3,242
    depends on how the bottom of the bird is looking. If cooking fast or burning, then switch to indirect. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.