Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st steak on Small

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I posted earlier in the week, I was concerned about a learning curve on the small after 3 years of using a large.

Well, that concern was ill-founded ! :)

The story-line:
Mixed (old and new) lump to top of firebox. Electric starter. Burned off 'bad smoke' . Did learn dome had to be open to get fire going for a sear. Mostly smoked when I tried to close the dome (even with DM off).
DSC_0440.jpg
Used a CI grid and got it really hot.
DSC_0442.jpg
Steak was 'hot tubbed' in 87* water for 45 minutes. A little coarse sea salt before the sear. 60 sec per side for 2" ribeye.
DSC_0443.jpg
10 minute rest while got the egg down to 400* (had to open the dome a couple of times to let out some heat. (Sear was done with dome open). Raising the Steak rub during the rest.
DSC_0444.jpg
Maverick ET-73 to monitor during the roast.
DSC_0445.jpg
Pulled at 125* internal, foiled on a plate and rested for 8-10 min.
DSC_0446.jpg
Perfect medium rare. Enjoyed with a green salad (fresh tomatoes from the Earth Box) and some yeast rolls warmed on the 'shut down' egg during the final rest.
DSC_0447.jpg
Very little lump used - great steak.

I'm gonna like this small!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Comments