Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorting Lump

Options
Dut
Dut Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those that sort, do you sort by hand or do you have some sort of contraption to sort the lump.

I bought a lot of lump from Costco last year at a steal (approx $3 10#). It's decent lump but slow to get going. It'll burn a long time but I have about 40 bags and would like to sort it and do so without picking it piece by piece.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    even being a retired rascal with time to do as I please I sure don't waste it sorting my lump. I merely dump and light. When a bag gets near the end I pour it into another and after I have the remainder of several bags I use a sifter to get out the dust and tiny pieces. Here's a pix of my sifting screen box using 1/2" hardware clothe. BTW that old fashioned coal bucket is my favorite way to load lump into the eggs - the snout is just perfect!
    IMG_0140.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I sure wish the Costco here sold lump.
  • Dut
    Dut Posts: 81
    Options
    They sold some Original Charcoal Company Lump last year, 2 8# bags for about $5. I bought all I could haul at the time. Haven't seen it there since though.