Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Sauce

tarheelforever
tarheelforever Posts: 139
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Numerous people helped me decide on my first pizza dough recipe yesterday and I thank you.

The next question is what is the best sauce. Sauce makes the pizza and I'm up for something from the store or homemade.

Suggestions???

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Dei Fratelli is the best store bought in my opinion. Bente got me onto it and it's really good for out of a can. Mark
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Right now I'm making sauce from the tomatoes in my garden but normally I use canned Italian style. I put a couple cloves of garlic and some fennel seeds in the food processor and mince them. Then I add the canned whole tomatoes but not the juice, basil leaves, dried oregano, some red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. I pulse this just enough to break everything up yet still have some texture. This makes a fresh tasting sauce that my family really likes. -RP
  • USDA Prime
    USDA Prime Posts: 89
    Concur with your opinion for store bought - Dei Fratelli!! 15 ounce can at Publix.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    This started as a salt free pizza sauce that Spin posted years ago, but I've altered to our tastes. I always freeze individual quantities. Frozen for 6 months or fresh taste the same so it's well worth the effort.

RRP’s PIZZA SAUCE

• 1 oz package of fresh basil

• 3 T dried basil

• 1.5 tea dried oregano

• ¾ cup chardonnay

• ¾ cup fresh minced onion

• 3 tea minced garlic

• 3 T extra virgin olive oil

• 18 Roma tomatoes each cut into 8 pieces

• 1 6oz can of tomato paste

• 2 tea California style garlic salt

• ½ tea freshly ground pepper (about 12 good half grinds PER layer)

IMPORTANT first step: steep the dried basil and dried oregano in the wine for 20 minutes

In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onions turn translucent, stirring frequently.

Using a Dutch oven add tomatoes, paste, onions/garlic and remaining ingredients. I put them in so there are three layers. Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour. Remove form heat and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour back into the Dutch oven minus the lid this time and simmer until the sauce thickens to a consistency of cold catsup.

Package in ½ cup quantities using ZipLoc snack bags. Freeze. Yield will depend on the size of your Romas, but normally this recipe is good for 9 to 12 bags. My pizzas are 12” in diameter so you might want to adjust according to what size you make.

Hint: During the thickening stage cover the pot with a spatter guard as that sauce really pops when it erupts and can make a mess of your stove. BTW this sauce is also good with bread sticks.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    RRP, That sauce sounds great all by itself! :woohoo:

I think any homemade sauce is going to be much better then any bottled/canned sauce, and that one looks like a winner. Just my 2¢.

I have made a homemade sauce with just a 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, a glug of wine, a little basil, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Let it simmer for a few minutes to meld the flavors and thicken a little. I can control the amount of salt, a major component of commercial sauces. It's basic, simple, quick and you can add anything your heart desires. Garlic, mushrooms, onions, sausage . . . anything can go in.

Gator