Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using lump in lesser smokers?

Options
Scotty's Inferno
Scotty's Inferno Posts: 624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a friend who's just getting into smoking via a little Brinkman. I suggested he try lump in it to get more cooking time than briquettes. Was this good advice? Any experience or advice for him? Scott

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Depends on how air tight that brinkman is. He will not get the 20-30 hour burns we get no matter what he uses.

My advice is to advise him to buy an Egg..
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Oh, I'm with you on telling him to get an egg. He already knows what the pinnacle is. I catch the guy looking at my eggs like a beautiful woman!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i used lump in my weber kettle, it worked but i found it was better for hotter cooks, i mainly did hot cooks back then anyways. neighbor has one of those brinkman offsets, pitmaster? he uses lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My last cooker before getting the Egg was a Brinkman. I started using Cowboy in it, which helped cut down on the ash, but only offered a small time improvement, maybe 4 hours instead of three. Just leaked too much air, and radiated too much heat.

A fellow I work with has a small offset that has pretty good air flow control, and he has definitely switched to lump.

Never got anything but edible ribs off the Brinkman, but was able to do some very good chicken. Tried to do a turkey on T-day, but couldn't keep it hot enough in the chill air.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I used lump on one of those permanently mounted grills you find at campsites or between condo buildings etc. It worked fine. Of course wish they had an egg.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I use lump on my WSM when I feel nostalgic or I need to cook multiple meats and stuff at different temps because I only have one Egg.It works good,lasts longer and much less ash.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    ECB's don't allow you to control the airflow very well, if at all, so I'd expect the lump to burn hotter and faster than briquettes.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    What do you know about this stuff?????????
    Thanks
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I use lump in at least 4 non-ceramic cookers, and have no issues with it. I especially like the less ash. Even when started with a weedburner I can (or think I can) smell a different odor off briquettes than I do not notice off of lump.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I have only used lump. I can not stand briquettes. I used them in a brinkman and even at the park grills.