Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grids

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We'd like to build some raised grids for our eggs. I've seen pics of some that folks have made with bolts and washers. Can someone post what sized bolts we need to get for the different eggs. [p]Thanks,
QBabe
:~)

Comments

• Banker John
    Options
    QBabe,
    I used a 1/4 by 4" bolts, 3 of them. I then bought washers large enough to span the gap between bars on the grid. I bought wing nuts to support. Be sure to get Stainless Steel; you can go to a Boat US/West Marine to find the stainless.[p]3 bolts
    9 washers
    6 nuts
    3 wing nuts[p]Bolt-washer-grid-Washer-regular hex nut; when attached to a grid, this will make legs. At the tips of the legs, inverted wing nut-washer-regular hex nut. Now at the tips, there is a fixed nut to keep the washer from falling off and the wing nut will allow for adjustment of the washer at the bolt tips for height adjustment for the raised grid.[p]I hope this makes sense, if not - you will see mine at the Nature Coast Cookout in October.[p]By the way, I haven't seen much on the forum about the Nature Coast Cookout/Camping trip. Wuddya say we start posting it again on the forum(s)?[p]Banker John

• toomanybbqgrls
    Options
    QBabe,
    For my set up, I bought extra fire bricks and had some of them cut in half and some in thirds to give me a variety. As I work in construction it was easy to get them cut by a mason on the job. If you want to try, I am sure a mason on a job you pass would be glad to cut them for you.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    QBabe,
    Here is a pointer to my FAQ which addresses this for the large:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Here's something you may want to check out, Tonia. I found a 17" grid at Walmart, for a Weber I beleive, that I used for my raised grid. It works great for cooking extra butts or briskets and fits up into the dome nicely when you are using an inverted plate setter and main grid, too. The smaller diameter allows it to fit up in the dome nicely. See you soon![p]Jim
  • QBabe
    Options
    toomanybbqgrls,[p]I've been using full sized firebricks on the large, but when I have the whole grid covered with wings (or anything else), there are quite a few pieces not exposed to the fire at all due to the mass of the bricks. I have some split ones I use on the small, but they were too tippy in the large, and a pain to cut down (used a masonry blade, but still a pain).[p]Not a bad solution in the beginning, but am now looking for something different....[p]Thanks,
    QBabe

• QBabe
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks! I forgot about your FAQ's section....[p]Any chance we'll be seeing you at Eggtoberfest?[p]QBabe

• QBabe
    Options
    JSlot,[p]We have one of those 17 inch ones with the handles that we use for the second grid on the platesetter and it works wonderfully. But, when I do a direct raised grid setup, the firebricks I'm currently using to raise the grid get in the way.....[p]See you soon!
    Tonia

• QBabe,[p]If you want to keep it simple :[p]buy 3 or 4 of the 8 oz cans of fruit (e.g. dole , delmonte etc )
    eat the fruit --
    rinse out the cans --
    take the bottom out of each with a can opener ---
    now just put these on the bottom grid
    and sit the top grid on these cans [p]done [p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    joe in boston, too simple. Can't we make this more difficult so that we can take pride in all that we had to go through to get a raised grid? Ok, here's my excuse not to do as you suggest. The space that the 8-oz cans take up on the bottom grid is ia approximately 12 sq in greater than the space the bolts take up. This will mean that I get three fewer ABTs on the bottom grid. (unless I stand them up inside the hollow can - ummmm) :-)

• BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    QBabe,[p]While you were asking this question and getting great answers I was in Home Depot buying the parts. I bought carriage bolts and used the heads as the base to stand the raised grid on. I then put a nut, washer, raised grid, washer, and nut to hold them together. I bought 5 1/2 inch carriage bolts to give me some clearance between the grill and the raised grid. It is working fine now and cost about $17 including the grid![p]I needed the extra space to make salsa. I use a modified Kevi's Salsa and have found that I can't make enough! I bought 25# of roma tomatoes this morning, 100 large Jalapeno peppers, and 10 # of yellow onions to smoke. I will then can and enjoy through out the year. They make great Christmas gifts and I haven't had anyone say they didn't want more.[p]Hope your project goes as well as mine did. [p]Bill
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Stainless steel bolts, right Bill?
  • Banker John
    Options
    Wise One,
    You guys are too funny. I'm actually jealous that I did not think of the "cut the bottom out of a can" method. Heck, I spent $14 on stainless for the hardware. The can method would cost what, $1.45 for all three? Plus, you can eat the contents of the cans!![p]GREAT IDEA for the cans.[p]Banker John