Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest Procedure

emilluca
emilluca Posts: 673
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a question about eggfest that are held across the country. I have only been to one and that was Peoria earlier this month.
There the people that cooked came and cooked on eggs mostly provide by the dealer. There was one coupple from Florida that brought an egg.
I am assuming those that cook provided the food they prepared?
Is this the norm for eggfest?
IS the number of eggs for cookers provided only based on pre sales of the eggs?
Are the demo eggs sold after the event if they are not presold.
There was not a contest per see just cooking.

Emil

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    The cooks provide the food. At some fests the entry fee for cooks is reduced or removed to offset the cost of the food they prepare.

The fests I have been to have always provided eggs. Most of them are pre-sold, but sometimes the dealer will allow more eggs to be used and sell them to interested parties at the fest or after the fest at the same demo pricing. Cooks are allowed and encouraged to bring their eggs to use as well.

The only contests are those that the cooks set up amongst themselves for fun and bragging rights. Sometimes these are done at the fest, sometimes at the after party. The one exception I am aware of is the Iron Egg Chef at the Oklahoma Fest.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Yes the people that cook bring the food they are cooking as well as the utensils, supplies, tables, tents, etc...and they also pay to atten the fest but usually at a reduced rate.

At most but not all Fests the local dealer who is the sponsor provides the Eggs and the lump & firestarter. Most everything else you bring or someone local may loan you...CI skillets, woks, platesetters, etc.

Usually the dealer does presales of the Eggs but I am sure sometimes they have sales after the events...come to Eggtoberfest in October to see the Mother of all Fests
    .... :lol: :silly: :silly:
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    NewEgglandfest is doing an "Egghead's Choice Award"; sort of like a People's Choice Award. Each cook will be given a number and each attendee will be given a ballot with all the numbers upon registration. The cook with the most votes at the end of the day will win.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    So it is NOT UNUSUAL to pay an entry fee?
    Seems counter to what a dealer wants to happen.
    I would find it difficult to buy food to prepare and also pay for the right to give food away?
    Might be I am too tight.
    I have been known to have an opinion.
    Emil
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I think most eggfests - at least the smaller ones if they do have an entry fee it is waived for those who bring food and cook. What you didn't see at Peoria was while there was no fee our dealer gave each of us who cooked a 20# bag of Weekend Warrior lump about a $21 value. BTW I coined a term of eggfests are funfests - not contests to convince our dealer to move off the bubble from a few years back. They used to award a top prize but it really wasn't fair comparing somebodies' ribs to another's pizza to another's cake to another's roast. As eggers we may want to show off with foods that WOW people, but isn't that part of the fun plus showing the public how versatile the BGE is? Honestly calling it a contest embittered people and many one time cookers never came back!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    When i first started with the egg and looked into going to a fest I thought it strange too. that is a lot of money to lay out to be doing what I considered a "sales pitch" for the dealer. I mean who really benefited here?
    then I just sucked it up and went. LOL it was the best money spent other than buying the egg. We had more fun and learned more than I would have any where else for that $$. when you go to one the food you are eating... I was just amazed at the NH one last year and at Ocala at what people spent and cooked. amazing!!! yes it is $$ to go and cook too. but you can do simple and inexpensive. just do it you won't be sorry :) Julie
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I agree with Julie 100%...yes I pay to cook and bring my own food and spend my own money and we have great fun, meet great people, eat great food and learn lots about a lot of things....do it and you will be glad you did... :silly: :silly: :silly: