Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alright !!! Tell me about taste of ABTs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You people keep teasing me with those ABT write-ups and I am beginning to waver.[p]REALLY HOT food is not my forte.[p]Does the BGE take a lot of the hot taste out ?[p]Surely you all must not be eating what I know as hot peppers. (You must have a secret to take the heat out.) (Tell me ! I will keep your secret) (Smile)[p]

Comments

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    KL.
    they become quite the opposite when cooked...sweet and tasty..with some tang..depending on your prep.
    try it..you'll like it!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    KL,
    They are not that hot if you follow the recipe and remove (you should ware gloves) the seeds and veins.[p]Now, HeeHeeHeeeee
    There are those of us (ME) that like it HOT so be careful. It should burn going in and burn going out. LOL[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    KL,
    I don't like really hot food either. ABTs are not very hot after you cook them. I eat them with great big bites, no nibbling here! So fear not. Make a batch and you'll love them if you like peppers, cream cheese, sausage and bacon and smoke.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    KL,
    For years I have roasted peppers and removed the skins. They are more flavorful that way. I wondered if anyone had tried this with the japs. I too am becoming swayed toward fixing some ABT's. My roasting method ... I put them on firebricks, usually outdoors and blow torch them (with the MAPP torch, what else) till they're black. I put them in a plastic bag, twist it to somewhat seal it and let them cool. I then rinse them under water and slide the skins off, sometimes also brushing the hard spots with a stiff brush, de-seed and de-vein and then refrigerate. They can also be frozen this way or frozen before they are skinned, but after the roasting.[p]I also ordered a few pounds of roasted Hatch peppers that are now ripening in New Mexico. They are not as hot and wonderful for chili relleno's. I ordered mine from http://www.dagiftbasket.com/store/catalog/default.php I am looking forward to an ABT variation using those peppers which are not as hot as japs.

• Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Options
    KL,
    I make these for my "eighty-something" mother-in-law (who doesn't like "hot" food. I have to fight her for any left on the plate. Of course, I seed and de-vein the Jalapenos. Pretty mellow appetizer.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    3384566323232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E2323378967753ot1lsi
    <p />KL,
    Try 'em, You'll like 'em. Here's what mine look like on the inside. Just finished a big dinner and now I have a craving for a couple of ABT's. You started something.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    KL,
    If you're really tender-tongued (poor devil!), there's a milder variety of jalapeno on the market just within the past year or two. I think Frieda's is the brand: check with your local specialty produce people.[p]Short of that, there's always the guero chili, jalapeno size and shape, but yellow flesh. Might have to check a Mexican market to find them.[p]Ken

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]If that's not a picture that descries tastes then I dont know what is.[p]ST
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    <image src = "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/eggpics/abt.jpg">[p]I didn't read all of the posts below, so forgive me if I'm duplicating information. I have made about 6 batches of ABT's. I always buy my jalapeno's at Walmart. The first 5 batches were extremely mild in flavor and some of my "NOT SO HOT" friends thought they were great. The batch I made last Friday was a different story. Same Walmart peppers, but I knew I was in trouble when I was seeding them and my sinuses cleared and eyes started watering. These things were so hot they were almost inedible, and I LOVE really hot stuff. Ok, so I ate 'em anyway. Good excuse for another beer! I guess what I'm saying is that there is a wide range of heat in jalapeno's, so keep that in mind. And another tip, even for the mild ones, WASH YOUR HANDS before you touch any other body parts (i.e. wipe your eyes, go to the bathroom)!!! Even then, be very careful! I use the throw-away food service gloves from Sam's to handle them. Good luck![p]Jim