Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
cupboy
cupboy Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good day.

I will doing up some ribs for Fathers Day.
I've already attempted them once and they turned out pretty good but I was looking for some more advice

1. I used the plate setter when I did them....is it really needed when cooking at those low tempaeratures? The only reason I ask is because it is almost impossible to add anymore wood chips/chunks for smoke once its in there...

2. temperature...i did them around 225....it seems that may be a bit too low....seem the proper temperature is around 250- 275...does this sound about right?...
and if cooking within this range I figure they should be on for about approx. 4 hours, sound about right?

3. lastly.... does it make a big difference to wrap them in foil for the last 2 hours? I prefer just to spray them down with some kind of juice occasionally...but if this is not the correct way let me know...

sorry that was kind of long but I'm just new to this and any kind of help would be greatly appreciated

thanks!
Mike
Hamilton, ON

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I almost never use a platesetter for ribs. Just and elevated grid with drip pan below. If you scatter chunck/chips throughout the lump, you shouldn't have to add more during the cook.

I aim for a dome temperature around 250. That seems to give the best balance of getting the connective tissue soft before the meat dries out. The time depends on the weight of the slab. Most of the untrimmed slabs I buy are between 5 - 6 pounds. Trimmed, they take about 5 hours. I've had a fe 4 pound slabs, and at 5 hours, they were somewhat over done.

Foiling is a particular method. Its useful to ensure both moist and tender ribs. But it isn't at all essential. I prefer a somewhat drier rib, with a bit of bark. The foiling method works better with sweet glazed ribs.

The Egg retains lots of moisture, as well as heat. Don't open the lid too much. I peek in once about half way to see how things are going, and then I mop a few times in the last hour.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    With the Egg, there is no one, single right way to do anything. I just did 6 racks a couple weeks ago and they were great (and made great leftovers though not as good as fresh off the grill)

At low temps, many folks don't bother going indirect but I do-I use the platesetter.

I go with 250 dome.
    I use a rib rack so they are standing up through the whole cook-no flipping required.

BBs usually take me 5 hours, Spares are bigger and usually go 6 or more.

Spray is fine. If you foil, it's usually the middle step in the 3-1-1 method (Cook 3 hours, foil and cook 1 hr, remove foil and cook another hour). If they stay in the foil too long they will get too soggy. I like to foil for about 1.5 hours

I usually do BBs because even though they cost more per pound than spares, I find them easier to work with and MUCH easier to remove membrane.
  • Pancakes
    Pancakes Posts: 45
    Options
    Cupboy,

I followed carwash mikes method but went with a dome of 250. They still took a long time. After 5 hrs I bumped the temp up to 275 and they were finished and off the grill with a total cook time of 5.5 hrs.

After learning many things from this forum, its exactly as Flashback Bob says, there is no single right way. I made that mistake with my first attempt at ribs with CWM method and pulled them at a time instead of waiting for them to finish. I figured that at 6 hrs they had to be done. Wrong.

250 temp, platesetter, drip pan and its around 4.5 to 5 hrs. Just watch for the meat to pull back from the bones about and inch. Thats a good tip. Also lift a slab up and it should bend in half pretty easily. Good luck and enjoy.

Pancakes,
    New Bern, NC
  • cupboy
    cupboy Posts: 34
    Options
    thanks everyone
    I appreciate the help...

I've never seen so much action on an internet forum