Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mediums tippy inerds

Fire Walker
Fire Walker Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have recently purchased a medium. My question is and mind you I tend to be a little over critcal of new thing, it is a flaw, the Fire box is tippy when in the egg at the correct position for the bottom venting, this tippness transmits to the fire ring, stack these two together makes you have to chase a steak around the grill, I have looked at the bottom of the fire box and it looks not quit smooth like not perfectly flat. Is there a quik fix, is this common? I noticed the foot print of the firebox is not very big and wouldn't take much to de-stabilize it. Or do I need to quit being so anal retentive?
FireWalker

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You need to stop being so anal, but the firebox shouldn't be all that tippy either.. :woohoo:

You have two options. Sand paper and try to level it out, or get a replacement. This item is warranted for life.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hi Fire Walker,

I have had my medium BGE since Christmas and do not have that problem. I am guessing that it might be something in the casting of the fire box. I would call the company and talk to them.

Gator
  • Lumpy
    Lumpy Posts: 7
    Fire Walker,
    I have the same problem with my firebox. I purchased a large BGE last Friday (yes, I'm a newbie) and once I assembled it, I noticed that the 'inerds' were tipsy.

I took it back to the dealer and we both assesed that the bottom of the firebox was not level throughout. We also noticed that the showroom model also had the same issue. He suggested that I place a small wedge to try and stabilize the movement. It's been about a week with this set up and so far it's worked well.

He also suggested if I'm not happy with it, I can easily return it for another firebox, since it's covered under warranty.

I have absolutely no idea if this issue is common or not.

Lumpy
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    is there a huge gap around the top of the firebox, i know that grandpas grub and a few others have this problem and that would cause it to be more tippy if the bottoms off a bit.ive heard this a problem that is mostly with mediums, i dont own one. ping granpas grub or email him thru the site
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    My small had a wobble and I put a dab of JB weld in 2 places to even it all out. I though about takin the belt sander to it, just thought the other way would be easier, faster, cleaner and wouldn't run the risk of hurting the little guy.

Problem solved :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    We have seen a few posts now with fire boxes that don't sit flat on the egg bottom.

It would seem BGE needs to contact the fabricators and have those folks pay a little more attention to quality control and or check the molds for damage.

If folks don't contact BGE, they will never know there is a problem. Also, BGE can give the best advice to resolve the problem.

If you are going to fix this yourself I really like the JB Weld. Get something you know is flat, a metal ruler on edge for example, and make sure the egg floor is flat.

Then put in the fire box use a narrow piece of paper and see where the gap is. Use a pencil to mark the fire box. Double and triple up the paper to determine the depth of the gap.

If you use JB Weld you can mix and apply the epoxy to the 'dip'. Then put some plastic warp over the straight ege and level out the JB Weld. If the epoxy is too high when dry then use a file to level. Don't take off any ceramic.

Make sure with BGE that what ever you do won't void the warranty.

Of course the best solution is to get a new fire box.

As far as being anal, I guess it is a matter of what quality level folks are willing to accept for the dollars they spend of any given product.

GG
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    GG,
    Great advice.
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Or you could just push the firebox to the back and pull the fire ring forward. That will stop it from rocking.