Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Torn between

Egmont Key
Egmont Key Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is opening the egg during a cook to use a thermapen a problem. I'm torn between the Maverick and the Thermapen.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hi Ron, I have the thermapen and love it. no maverick as of yet. it is true that every time you open the egg you loose heat. just like in an oven, but it recovers fast. and you are not opening every 10 minutes it is an hour or more between checks on low and slows. Julie
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Can't help on the thermometer but like Julie said as long as your no opening it every 10 min or so your fine. Only problem then is if you are trying to follow a recipe as it will increase your cook times doing just a quick temp test. Of course if you leave it up to long your temp will go high in your pit. Seems to me most things you would be checking often would be smaller food items cooking at higher temps any way which poping the top would not really effect as much to start with. (Note to self I got toget me a thermopen soon ;) )
  • Get both you won't regret it. :)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I suggest, if you do a bunch of grilling then the thermopen.....bunch of bbqing, then the maverick.

Do both grilling and bbqing, don't fight it, you'll end up with both the maverick and thermopen eventually. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • x76
    x76 Posts: 2
    I've never heard of the Maverick, but I swear by my Thermapen, WORTH EVERY PENNY.
  • Eventually you will want both. For something like a brisket or pork butt you will want a leave in the meat probe. But a thermapen is one of the best cooking accessories ever invented.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I'm not a big fan of the Maverick, I like the remote thermometers sold at Target and Walmart. They are cheap ($15) and accurate. I have several other wireless remote thermometers and find I just don't use them. The Thermapen OTH is an indispensable tool, I have 2 of them just in case one ever quits working. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I love both. I use the Thermapen most every cook if not every cook.

The Thermapen has been the biggest improvement in flavor and texture of any accessory I have purchased for the egg.

I use the Maverick ET-73 on every cook that takes longer than 3 or 4 hours. This model of the Maverick has a remote receiver, a pit and food probe, high and low alarms on the pit and done alarm on the food.

Mixed reviews on the Maverick. For me it has been great and a deal at $40 on the internet.

GG
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    Bought the thermapen today from their website 80 bucks with shipping. Mollyshark told me they were on sale till they run outof the old model. The new one is water resistant and $94.
    Maybe a maverick at BD time. :P
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    You will enjoy the quality thermometer for years to come, egg and non egg cooking.

GG