Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grill set up for a large cook of ribs

probie
probie Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some help on setting up my large BGE I have looked a many post that have had very large quantities of meat on them. I would like to know what is used in making those multiple tiers of grilling racks?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    There are several ways to accomplish this.

Some use fire bricks, rocks, rolled balls of foil.

Some make their own raised grid out of bolts, nuts and wide washers. The bold goes through the washer, through the grid, another washer, a nut. For the height, another nut, washer and another nut. This makes a "standoff" for the upper grid which sits on a lower grid.

Some use the BGE raised grid

Some use vertical V-Rack or Vertical rib rack (about $5).

I have seen some posts where the racks are rolled in a circle and sit vertical - picture a roll of paper towel. If I recall correctly there were 18 to 20 racks of ribs in that cook. Sometimes when meat touches the rub does not develop well.

Some use tjv's Adjustable Rig with multiple racks.

GG
  • probie
    probie Posts: 102
    The nuts and bolts is what I had in mind. I was just wondering how many grid I could get into my large egg?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    The most I have done was 6 racks of baby backs.

Ping Carwash Mike he will have a good idea.

GG