Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pictures of lump and need final opinions

EggHead09
EggHead09 Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay here are a few pictures of the lump I got in my last bag of BGE Lump. The two big pieces (the ones I will have in my hand are the largest but the rest that you see just setting on the ground is the average size for all the lump in the whole bag. Is this lump most suitable for a long cook say 12-18 hours for a pork butt?! Next I am getting my pork butt thursday and I am going to wash and rub it that night then I am going to wrap it in cling wrap for the night in the fridge. I will let it sit out for approximately 30 minutesw before I place it on indirect heat at 225 degrees which has been well stable at that temperature. In my lump I will have hickory chips placed for smoke flavor. My question from then is fat cap up or down. I wasw thinking fat cap down not to let rub run off of pork. And when it has reached 200 degrees I wrap it for 30 minutes in a loose wrap so it can breathe and let the juices settle before i pull it. When pulled do I leave the crispy part of the meat in the pulled mixture for BBQ or should I remove the crispy section before I toss pulled meat in BBQ Sauce?! thanks!!!

barklump-1.jpg
biglump.jpg
lump.jpg

Comments

• EggHead09
    apparently I can't get my pictures to post. I have them on my email account...any help I don't have any kind of photobucket account either.... :(
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    No pics to be seen.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    So set one up. Email me and I'll help.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Good job!!That is sometimes how the bags are, quite a variety. Others will be friggin all small. Gotta roll with it. Save the big guys for the long cooks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Wrap meat in foil and then in towels, into a cooler for an hour or so. Then pull. Some add liquid, I do not. Yes leave the "bark" mixed in with pulled product. Much flavor. Relax and smoke some goodness.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Sounds good.

I would put the biggest pieces of lump in first and then fill in with medium and then small. I pack it in to the top of the firebox. (I also use a platesetter or my adjustable rig with a drip pan).

Just wondering why you will let it sit out for 30min before cooking? I wonder if this is super important when you are cooking something so low, slow for tomorrow. Anyway, this is not a big point.

For fat cap, I don't think it matters on pork butt. Generally I put the fat cap down.

I also inject mine with a mixture of pinapple juice, maple syrup, worsteshire sauce and bourbon. I really like this, though I have forgotten to inject and the butts were really good too. Still I generally inject.

I have found wrapping the 200F Butts in foil and then towels and putting in a cooler for at least 1 hr (preferably 2hrs+) make the butt even better. They stay super hot and are perfect.

Here is a link to the way I do pork butt

20080101%203%20Butts.JPG

Cheers....JerryD
  • EggHead09
    Should I baste during the cook or no? I have been thinking about that as well. Or just let it be!
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Don't overthink it. If you like the crispy bits in the pulled stuff go ahead. If not leave it out. Fat cap up means juices run down and through meat while cooking. I've read both pro and con hear with reports of little difference. Relax and enjoy the journey.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Looks like Lazzara lump, i get 40 lb bags for the restaurant and they have chunks the size of your arm in there.
    Smoke on!
  • No need to baste. Most of the time I don't even open the dome... Use a good remote thermometer.

Best of luck.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    big lump is better for lots of air flow, and airflow equals higher temps. i use big stuff for high temp cooks and the smaller stuff for lo and slo cooks.

if you have big chunks of lump, the fire can find it difficult to bridge across to fresh lump
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante