Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Chef Amy
Chef Amy Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hubby and I made our first spatchcock chicken tonight. We don't have fire bricks (yet), so rubbed it, then did it indirect at 350 for 1-1/2 hours. Best darn chicken we ever had. Definitely prefer it over beer-butt.[p]Will be looking for firebricks this week so we can try the Naked Whiz's "official" recipe. Can't wait to try it direct.[p]Thank you archives for giving me the info I needed to pull this off on my first try!

Comments

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    ChefAmy, i agree i have yet to have a better chicken then one that has been egged and spatched (is that a word??) nothing compares to it and we have it often

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    You don't need fire bricks to do it direct, Amy. I cook it direct at 350° on the main grid and it comes out great every time.[p]Jim
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    ChefAmy,
    The Whiz does not do his chicken indirect. He does it direct on a raised grid. All he is doing with the firebricks is raising his grid. If you can't find firebricks to do this, you can make a raised grid from stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers. [p]~nikki

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JSlot,
    i agree with jslot. .the trick is to let your fire settle in at 350 for a little while so that you are cooking over nice red coals, not flames. . . .that way even though you aren't on a raised grid, you are still getting more of a roasting effect than a strait grilling one. . .[p]i still like my beer butts though. . .heee

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    ChefAmy,[p]I did my first last night on a raised grid at 350* direct. It was great. I have a question -- when you "spatch" do you remove the breastbone too?
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I'm also a believer of beer butt chicken, both are good I just prefer seeing my chickens stand "Proud" LOL[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Chef Amy
    Chef Amy Posts: 19
    Options
    JK,
    I didn't remove the breastbone, only the backbone. I pressed it down to flatten it before cooking. Once cooked, I simply took a knife and cut the bird in half along the breastbone and served it in 2 large portions.